The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lavaandmosquitos
Sorry, I'm not totally sure what you'd like to know- stuff like scholarships and research experience? Just let me know, and I'll send you a PM if you don't mind (anything to procrastinate on analysing this data...) :smile:

I found out I had an interview on 10th Feb, when my potential supervisor emailed me to say they'd like me to visit, and then it would be combined with funding interviews.

Oh okay, do you have a conditional offer through GRADSAF? Or are you still under consideration?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by biologynerd95
Oh okay, do you have a conditional offer through GRADSAF? Or are you still under consideration?

I am still under consideration by the department, as I haven't had any interviews at Cambridge yet. :smile:
In which cases would you end up not getting an offer following the BoGS phase of your application? Surely the department looks over your documentations prior to making an offer, so is the phase of BoGS just a formality or could they detect some errors in your applications the department perhaps has missed?

Essentially, I am asking whether BoGS holds the power to re-evaluate your application, even though you have satisfied the department? This seems unlikely, but I am still not entirely sure about the role of BoGS, hence the question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Young Oldman
probably they were reading this forum and decided to troll you, lol.

anyway it could have been worse, you could have been rejected. Congratulations on top of everything. Some of us, specially engineering people are still waiting to hear back.

You're very right! Thank you and hoping you hear some good news soon. :smile:
Reply 1724
Hello,

Has anyone received any response, on their MPhil in Technology Policy application, at the Judge Business School from the department?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ohwello
Hey guys,

I've been at the BoGS stage since Wednesday and I was wondering how much longer should I wait before e-mailing the graduate admissions office? Anxiety is kicking in, once again. As far as I know - I don't have anything to worry about; I'm an international applicant and do have the minimum required grade for the course I'm applying for, but the wait is really killing me :frown:

Also, I just got rejected for the Chevening scholarship without any explanation - before I was even able to update my application with the official offer which I find really odd. Any of you had similar experience?

Hi! Have you heard back yet? I've been at BoGS since Friday and the nerves are starting to kick in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also infuriatingly awaiting approval by BoGS which I have been on since last Wednesday! But I already have an offer for funding! I am really confused! Would there be any reason I was rejected at this stage?
Reply 1727
Original post by NDA
Hello,

Has anyone received any response, on their MPhil in Technology Policy application, at the Judge Business School from the department?

I was offered a place, but I must have been in the first "offers wave" as I am currently a Cambridge student and applied for Gates/Trust scholarships.

Original post by biologynerd95
I am also infuriatingly awaiting approval by BoGS which I have been on since last Wednesday! But I already have an offer for funding! I am really confused! Would there be any reason I was rejected at this stage?

Is the funding from the department or external sources, if you don't mind? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
My status changed to 'Awaiting decision by BoGS' last Thursday. Today, it has changed to 'Application awaiting approval by BGS'.

Could anyone please provide some ideas as to what the difference between these two status could be?
Original post by aleeliah
My status changed to 'Awaiting decision by BoGS' last Thursday. Today, it has changed to 'Application awaiting approval by BGS'.

Could anyone please provide some ideas as to what the difference between these two status could be?

Mine is the same! It was BoGs and now it is Awaiting Approval by BGS!
I applied before the December deadline, had an interview on 22th January, so almost a month ago and my application is still 'under consideration by department'.

Is it normal?

Reply 1731
Original post by lr750
Thanks a lot! It took around 2 - 3 weeks after the interview. How did your interview go? Best of luck!

I think it went okay..hoping for the best though as i am more on the 2.1 side. Hope to see you in September
Original post by malvina95
I applied before the December deadline, had an interview on 22th January, so almost a month ago and my application is still 'under consideration by department'.

Is it normal?

I also applied before the December deadline, had an interview on 18th of January, and haven't received any kind of information after that. I even contacted the postgraduate admin on Wednesday last week and they haven't replied either. I applied for a certain PhD project on a departmental PhD project list. Fortunately, I have gotten over the worst period of anxiety when I checked my e-mail and CamSIS every few minutes and almost got a heart attack every time there was a new e-mail in my inbox... Not from Cambridge, obviously. Now I will just relax until they finally respond, whenever that will be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone else applied to the MPhil in Philosophy? If so, have you heard anything back from the department?

Thanks!
Has any of the offer holders here received the condition of obtaining a mere 2.i (not a specific percentage - just a plain 2.i)? If so, for what course?
Guys, don't get so hung up on the BoGS stage. I know it is easy to say after the event, but the only ways it goes wrong at BoGS are if you've sent them forged documents, or your national academic standards are so far below the entry standards and no-one has noticed yet. Very occasionally a department makes an offer to someone how has academic qualifications below a university agreed minimum, and then it takes a while for them to justify why to BoGS, but really, getting rejected at the BoGS stage is vanishingly rare.

The difference in wording is almost certainly the difference between the departmental secretary updating your file - which has one phrase, and the faculty secretary using the other phrase.

What is going on at BoGS at the moment is that the tidal wave of decisions is beginning to rise up out of the departments and the files are arriving back on the desks of a small handful of admissions staff in BoGS who are wading through them just as fast as they can. There are no BoGS meetings, just staff trying to cope with the inundation of decisions the academics are beginning to make. BoGS responses will probably slow down markedly over the next few weeks as they plough through them all just as fast as they can.

I'm no BoGS apologist, or in their pay - but I have seen how and where they work, and like the whole Cambridge admissions process, it is in fact very tailored and individual, and very manual.
Reply 1736
Original post by Alexander I
Has any of the offer holders here received the condition of obtaining a mere 2.i (not a specific percentage - just a plain 2.i)? If so, for what course?

Yes, mine just says "upper second class".
MPhil in Technology Policy.
Been two weeks since interview and application still says "to be interviewed" :s-smilie: Getting worried here.
Someone applying to the department of engineering has any news?
Original post by threeportdrift
Guys, don't get so hung up on the BoGS stage. I know it is easy to say after the event, but the only ways it goes wrong at BoGS are if you've sent them forged documents, or your national academic standards are so far below the entry standards and no-one has noticed yet. Very occasionally a department makes an offer to someone how has academic qualifications below a university agreed minimum, and then it takes a while for them to justify why to BoGS, but really, getting rejected at the BoGS stage is vanishingly rare.

The difference in wording is almost certainly the difference between the departmental secretary updating your file - which has one phrase, and the faculty secretary using the other phrase.

What is going on at BoGS at the moment is that the tidal wave of decisions is beginning to rise up out of the departments and the files are arriving back on the desks of a small handful of admissions staff in BoGS who are wading through them just as fast as they can. There are no BoGS meetings, just staff trying to cope with the inundation of decisions the academics are beginning to make. BoGS responses will probably slow down markedly over the next few weeks as they plough through them all just as fast as they can.

I'm no BoGS apologist, or in their pay - but I have seen how and where they work, and like the whole Cambridge admissions process, it is in fact very tailored and individual, and very manual.

Thank you for this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending