Turn on thread page Beta

Hurt my wrist during OHP watch

ReputationRep:
    I hurt my wrist doing overhead press because of where the bar was resting on my hand, not directly onto my forearm more towards the upper part of my hand, I did the OHP and it all seemed fine but I woke up the next day and now I can't even bend my wrist. My question is that should I do one handed exercises? My right hand if fine just my left which is messed up, e.g. one handed bench, one handed rows, zercher/front squats? Or should I just stop lifting completely until it heals fully?

ReputationRep:
    Bad form

Were you maxing out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCAR H)
    Bad form

Were you maxing out?
    Yup I was, and it was bad form although I didn't realise it at the time as there was no pain, only the next day and only in 1 arm.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I hurt my wrist doing overhead press because of where the bar was resting on my hand, not directly onto my forearm more towards the upper part of my hand, I did the OHP and it all seemed fine but I woke up the next day and now I can't even bend my wrist. My question is that should I do one handed exercises? My right hand if fine just my left which is messed up, e.g. one handed bench, one handed rows, zercher/front squats? Or should I just stop lifting completely until it heals fully?
    No, just don't be stupid next time you OHP by using lots of wrist extension.

ReputationRep:
    My question is that should I do one handed exercises?
    Yes. There is no point letting both sides atrophy.

ReputationRep:

Usual I'm not a doctor/physio disclaimer.

Rest until you're pain free. And then rest some more. If its really bad get it looked at.
    And then once it's better, don't press in a position that gives you loads of wrist extension you want the bar low in the palm, not near the base of your fingers.

In my experience, front squats and pressing go out the window with a wrist injury. Pulls and back squats (with stacked wrists and false grip) should be fine. If it hurt's, don't do it. If you think it's going to hurt, don't do it.

(Source, 2 wrist injuries. Trained through the first and it was about 6/7 months total before I could support weight pain free.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.