The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History remark????

Hi everyone!

I got my AS results on the 13th (like everyone else), and apart from history, made As in everything. Unfortunately, I received a B in history - the subject that I want to do at University. Out of the two components that made up my grade, I got a high A (87%) in one component (Communism and Democracy in the 20th Century), and a mid level C (65%) in the second component (19th Century British political history i.e. The source paper).

I need around 6 marks (from both papers) to scrape 80% overall, but I'm only remarking my British paper since there is much more space for the marks to increase (the Communism and Democracy paper mark quite high already so it would be more likely to go down in marks rather than up). I've received my photocopied script back and will get a teacher to look at it and get some advice from him/her on whether to go for a remark.

Essentially, I need some advice on whether to get it remarked, and some past experiences of getting papers remarked would really be helpful too. I understand that my teacher will give me advice but I'd really love to get some advice from current students!

Thanks!
Reply 1
I just got my remark for my Edexcel History AS and sadly my mark didn't change. I was one mark away from an A overall. The paper I got the B in was my stronger paper and I was shocked I didn't get a A in it so thought I had a good chance in getting a higher mark.
Reply 2
Original post by Ani_2303
I just got my remark for my Edexcel History AS and sadly my mark didn't change. I was one mark away from an A overall. The paper I got the B in was my stronger paper and I was shocked I didn't get a A in it so thought I had a good chance in getting a higher mark.

I'm really sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, which history topics were you taking?
Reply 3
Original post by RPSharma
I'm really sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, which history topics were you taking?

I can't remember the exact titles but something along the lines of these

History 1 Option E: The Unification of Germany 1862-1890 & The Middle East in Conflict 1945-2001
History 2 Option D: The British Empire Challenged, Britain and Ireland 1867-1922
Go for it, can't do any harm. But from what I've heard edexcel are very consistent with their marking. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm more or less in the same position as you - my Russia paper went really well and I got a high A but a C in politics (I had all the knowledge but my exam technique/structure was clearly off) averaging out at a high B. My remark came back unchanged and I am resting in the summer, perhaps with a gap year, hoping to get a B or A in the source paper and an A overall. Can anyone offer any exemplar essays or ideally structural guide outlines for part A and B in the source paper, as I feel my teachers let me down on this part of the exam and I now have to prepare for it myself.Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest