The Student Room Group

Boyfriend is lazy and inattentive

I'm a foreigner living in the UK (I've been here for 2 years), and my bf has moved here one month ago from our home country to be with me. He has joined me in the flat I was already renting, and we are now living together.

He is fantastic, we've been together for 8 years and I had never imagined I could get along so well with anyone. However, he is quite impractical and inexperienced in everyday stuff (he had never lived out of his family house), so I had foreseen we might have some problems in the beginning.

These things are now happening, and I don't know how to handle the situation. I work full time, while he has a job as a waiting in a restaurant for a couple of hours at night (not every day, it's casual). A couple of times I've come home from my job to find a pile of dish in the sink (stuff he had used during the day), while he had been in the flat all day. I didn't say anything, because I thought it might be hard for him to adjust to the new situation.
This (and other small things) happened again, and I mentioned the issue to him in a casual way, telling him I expect him to take on his share of housework and not rely entirely on me
Again, no result. I came home today from work (he had left to his work a few minutes before), and found the house as I had left it this morning, dishes in the sink, his clothes scattered around the bedroom and everything else. The thing that made me go mad is that he didn't even bother to take the meat out of the freezer as I asked him by text this morning: he replied yes, then probably sat at his PC to be on Facebook and forgot. I was planning to make a meal that keeps well since he is probably coming back home late from his work, and had already started cooking when I realized the meat hadn't been moved from the freezer to the fridge.

I don't wanna make him feel like I'm punishing him or anything, but I'm thinking that maybe he'd better cook for himself tonight when he comes back from work? I don't feel comfortable acting this way, I really wanna be tolerant and I understand he needs his time, but speaking to him had no effect, and I don't want to encourage this behaviour in him.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Any ideas on how I could handle this?
Reply 1
New bf.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a foreigner living in the UK (I've been here for 2 years), and my bf has moved here one month ago from our home country to be with me. He has joined me in the flat I was already renting, and we are now living together.

He is fantastic, we've been together for 8 years and I had never imagined I could get along so well with anyone. However, he is quite impractical and inexperienced in everyday stuff (he had never lived out of his family house), so I had foreseen we might have some problems in the beginning.

These things are now happening, and I don't know how to handle the situation. I work full time, while he has a job as a waiting in a restaurant for a couple of hours at night (not every day, it's casual). A couple of times I've come home from my job to find a pile of dish in the sink (stuff he had used during the day), while he had been in the flat all day. I didn't say anything, because I thought it might be hard for him to adjust to the new situation.
This (and other small things) happened again, and I mentioned the issue to him in a casual way, telling him I expect him to take on his share of housework and not rely entirely on me
Again, no result. I came home today from work (he had left to his work a few minutes before), and found the house as I had left it this morning, dishes in the sink, his clothes scattered around the bedroom and everything else. The thing that made me go mad is that he didn't even bother to take the meat out of the freezer as I asked him by text this morning: he replied yes, then probably sat at his PC to be on Facebook and forgot. I was planning to make a meal that keeps well since he is probably coming back home late from his work, and had already started cooking when I realized the meat hadn't been moved from the freezer to the fridge.

I don't wanna make him feel like I'm punishing him or anything, but I'm thinking that maybe he'd better cook for himself tonight when he comes back from work? I don't feel comfortable acting this way, I really wanna be tolerant and I understand he needs his time, but speaking to him had no effect, and I don't want to encourage this behaviour in him.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Any ideas on how I could handle this?

Punish is sorry ass. You need to teach him some responsibility, so manage a couple days and try handling it heres what to do, dont do anything! Leave his clothes unironed, dont clean his dishes, dont make him food, when he complains tell him what misery hes putting you through and its a coop thing your not a mother and the man should actually shoulder more responsibility.
Any man sitting in front of a PC on Facebook/gaming with no proper job is a big problem, i tell you this because i used to game alot and i can reflect on how pathetic life was and its the same for facebook, so he needs to learn responsibility.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Two words for you:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending