The Student Room Group

Predicted A*, Got a C | Just don't understand...

Drama was a strong subject for me and I was sure I was going to get a high grade..
I was shocked to see the C among my other GCSE results ...
Our teacher came for one year and resigned (we did the whole course in one year).
The rest of the class ALL failed.
I really don't understand what happened

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marykatej
Drama was a strong subject for me and I was sure I was going to get a high grade..
Our teacher came for one year and resigned (we did the whole course in one year).

What did you get in your mock? And can I ask what grade you got for the performance aspect?
Reply 2
Original post by StressedCoffee
What did you get in your mock? And can I ask what grade you got for the performance aspect?

That's the thing we never did a mock in drama, and apparently I got a C in our unit 3 performance - 76/120

I seriously can't believe it, I was a student who was always chosen to play the leads in all school productions...
I was predicted an A* too and got told I got full marks on my coursework. When I got my results, I got a B and I was so shocked because I thought I must've got an E or something in the exam. I ended up getting an A in the drama exam and my coursework got down marked to a C. I've performed theatre for professional company's, and honestly it was one of my most confident subjects that I in fact did the worst in. Like you, I have no idea what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most likely your coursework was moderated down. Sucks :/ but atleast you passed, if you're passionate about it I would still go for it at A-Levels.
Reply 5
Original post by The_Philosopher
I was predicted an A* too and got told I got full marks on my coursework. When I got my results, I got a B and I was so shocked because I thought I must've got an E or something in the exam. I ended up getting an A in the drama exam and my coursework got down marked to a C. I've performed theatre for professional company's, and honestly it was one of my most confident subjects that I in fact did the worst in. Like you, I have no idea what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god I totally feel your pain and confusion. I too was very theatrically involved in local theatre companies and at school. Since primary school my teachers have been saying that they would sponsor me to attend an acting school.

I sat with my sisters friend (who also is a drama teacher) and perfected my coursework to A* standard for christ sake, we spent three whole days! Our drama teacher was really strange.. She just took in all the coursework in ,arch and 'marked them' and said i did really well but refused to tell me my actual grades...

The actual performance went really well as far as I know. I really don't know what went wrong!
There were a lot of fails in drama in my year so don't feel sad about it, apparently courseworks are marked wrong
Reply 7
Original post by Calzs34
Most likely your coursework was moderated down. Sucks :/ but atleast you passed, if you're passionate about it I would still go for it at A-Levels.

Thanks I'm glad i passed too. Its just that my results were all A*'s and A's , so that dreaded C stuck out like a sore thumb. The fact that it was in something i actually enjoyed and was good that really bothered me.

Our teacher in other words was quite shady.. Our year 10 teacher (who predicted me the A*) left for maternity leave , so this new teacher they found was very last minute.com . She scrapped all our old year 10 coursework saying it 'wasn't even satisfactory' made us redo the whole course in one year and didn't even tell us the marks of our new coursework, (which i completed with a private drama tutor at A* level).

And the rest of the class failed...
Reply 8
Original post by Idontlikeict
There were a lot of fails in drama in my year so don't feel sad about it, apparently courseworks are marked wrong

I know but it really upsets me that I was capable of achieving an A* .
My friends were turning around saying, "You got a C in drama, you... YOU!? Nahhh your joking don't be ridiculous hahaha ...".

:frown:
Thanks I'm glad i passed too. Its just that my results were all A*'s and A's , so that dreaded C stuck out like a sore thumb. The fact that it was in something i actually enjoyed and was good that really bothered me.

Our teacher in other words was quite shady.. Our year 10 teacher (who predicted me the A*) left for maternity leave , so this new teacher they found was very last minute.com . She scrapped all our old year 10 coursework saying it 'wasn't even satisfactory' made us redo the whole course in one year and didn't even tell us the marks of our new coursework, (which i completed with a private drama tutor at A* level).

And the rest of the class failed...

If the rest of your class failed, it may well be that your original coursework was A* and the rest of the classes original was not even C grade level, thus she decides to make everyone re do it and marks everyone really highly. It gets moderated people are moved from B/A's to fails and everyone else (despite not actually being marked) may also be moved down by the same amount, this happens a lot with coursework.

I would seriously consider asking for a remark. Especially with this drama teacher business. And the fact you got A-A* in everything else. The reason they move everyone down by the mean amount of moving down is it's much quicker.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Calzs34
If the rest of your class failed, it may well be that your original coursework was A* and the rest of the classes original was not even C grade level, thus she decides to make everyone re do it and marks everyone really highly. It gets moderated people are moved from B/A's to fails and everyone else (despite not actually being marked) may also be moved down by the same amount, this happens a lot with coursework.

I would seriously consider asking for a remark. Especially with this drama teacher business. And the fact you got A-A* in everything else.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that . I'm considering getting it remarked.
But even so, why was Unit 3 / the performance marked at a C grade. That I still cannot understand..
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that . I'm considering getting it remarked.
But even so, why was Unit 3 / the performance marked at a C grade. That I still cannot understand..

Is that not moderated by the exam board? Or is it just internal moderation? Sorry, I'm not familiar with drama :smile:.
Reply 12
Original post by Calzs34
Is that not moderated by the exam board? Or is it just internal moderation? Sorry, I'm not familiar with drama :smile:.

It's moderated by the exam board (edexcel).
It's moderated by the exam board (edexcel).

I'm not sure why it would be a C, especially since you've been hired to do theatrical work. Can you think of any reason why it would only be a C?
I got a C and expected A* in economics shall i get a remark (AQA unit 12...)
Reply 15
Original post by Calzs34
I'm not sure why it would be a C, especially since you've been hired to do theatrical work. Can you think of any reason why it would only be a C?

Seriously I can't , I really can't...

The year 10's (who were our audience at the time of the performance) came up to me and personally congratulated me on how 'great' they thought my performance was.

I'm stuck

I feel you OP. My GCSE results were tainted by a C grade in OCR Engineering despite having top-notch coursework and then re-doing it in a week before the deadline after all my files got corrupted and also getting nearly full marks on the mock paper. Like you, I was still top of my class as everybody else got a D or worse.

Needless to say the DT department was not happy and sent the whole year's exams and coursework off for a mass remark, only to have it returned with marginal improvements in the UMS but not significant enough to change anybody's grade. Engineering is my biggest GCSE regret. xD
(edited 8 years ago)
Seriously I can't , I really can't...

The year 10's (who were our audience at the time of the performance) came up to me and personally congratulated me on how 'great' they thought my performance was.

I'm stuck

Perhaps again, try for a remark? I really cannot understand how it could be a C, especially with all the information you've provided. It just doesn't make sense how you could have only passed, but if nothing changes I would still pursue it as an A-Level, I've heard similar things happen to art gcses to the best people at art.
She scrapped all our old year 10 coursework saying it 'wasn't even satisfactory' made us redo the whole course in one year and didn't even tell us the marks of our new coursework, (which i completed with a private drama tutor at A* level).

So you cheated in your coursework ... it's meant to be your own work.
Reply 19
Original post by Hydeman
I feel you OP. My GCSE results were tainted by a C grade in OCR Engineering despite having top-notch coursework and then re-doing it in a week before the deadline after all my files got corrupted and also getting nearly full marks on the mock paper. Like you, I was still top of my class as everybody else got a D or worse.

Needless to say the DT department was not happy and sent the whole year's exams and coursework off for a mass remark, only to have it returned with marginal improvements in the UMS but not significant enough to change anybody's grade. Engineering is my biggest GCSE regret. xD

Your situation is very similar to mine. I hope your A-levels work out alright.:smile: I'm really angry and upset. I blame it all on my drama teacher. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest