The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Flame
Hi all, I wasn't accepted into medicine when I applied first time last year. But got a place for medical science despite I flopped at my A levels, with a D in chem, a C in bio and an A* in French. My original plan was to ace at my A levels, defer the medical science entry and apply again for medicine. With those grades, I want to resit chemistry and apply for 2016. I honestly don't have extenuating circumstances to excuse my poor results, I was just a bit stupid and reckless. But I really believe I could do much better than a D in chem. Can I still have a shot at Medicine?

The D in chemistry will make it difficult. No harm in emailing unis though :smile:

Original post by shiney101
Has anyone done their UKCAT yet?

Yep :] just started looking at BMAT prep on the plane back and I think I cried
Reply 61
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I know exactly what you mean, it sucks but then I do well on a ukcat mock or something and get really motivated again!

Same although the UKCAT is all about luck tbh :frown: when's your Ukcat ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sp22
Same although the UKCAT is all about luck tbh :frown: when's your Ukcat ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly!! I've tried so hard to improve my score but VR always drags me down :frown: 15th Sept, yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exactly!! I've tried so hard to improve my score but VR always drags me down :frown: 15th Sept, yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was getting like 600 in every prep I did and got 760 in the real thing! The important thing to do is breathe, flag and move the **** on if you see a question is screwing you over. Panicking is the enemy.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
I was getting like 600 in every prep I did and got 760 in the real thing! The important thing to do is breathe, flag and move the **** on if you see a question is screwing you over. Panicking is the enemy.

you got 760 in verbal in the real thing omg that is impressive!! ahh I guess you're right, thanks!
Reply 65
Same I hate disappointing people and when my parents have done everything to help me I just feel so guilty knowing I had the chance but messed it up :frown:

Idk I hope so, but I'm scared you know? I don't want to go through all of this to get a place and then fail first year biochemistry or something :frown: but idk I was close ish so maybe it'll be okay??

Let's all aim for A*s guys!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally- it's probably the worst feeling ever :frown:
Applying a second time round is going to be risky-there's no doubt about it and I think we're all kind of scared.But, I think we all just need to remind ourselves that clearly there must be potential of us becoming excellent doctors since we all had offers. Always think positively.
Do you think our teachers would be willing to predict us A stars in the subject we're going to be retaking?
I feel like my school is giving me no support. Having emailed my chem teachers, they said it would be unusual for someone to be predicted an A star since I'm no longer studying in school :P
URGHHHH - what do I do now :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alsha123
Applying a second time round is going to be risky-there's no doubt about it and I think we're all kind of scared.But, I think we all just need to remind ourselves that clearly there must be potential of us becoming excellent doctors since we all had offers. Always think positively.
Do you think our teachers would be willing to predict us A stars in the subject we're going to be retaking?
I feel like my school is giving me no support. Having emailed my chem teachers, they said it would be unusual for someone to be predicted an A star since I'm no longer studying in school :P

This is upsetting, I phoned UEA and Liverpool and they want A*s in the subject you got Bs in, even if you're resitting more than one subject. So I need an A* prediction in Maths. There is no way in hell that I'm getting that from school. I'm so worried now :/
This is upsetting, I phoned UEA and Liverpool and they want A*s in the subject you got Bs in, even if you're resitting more than one subject. So I need an A* prediction in Maths. There is no way in hell that I'm getting that from school. I'm so worried now :/

oh god seriously??? That means I need to get a 3 A* prediction for Liverpool then😂that's definitely not happening...do you know what Exeter would want??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alsha123

I guess you're right about being positive, it's just so hard to do :frown:

Yeahh my teachers aren't going to predict me A*s....even asking for AAA is a push :P

Just apply with hope and then retake your exams, guess we can always take a second gap year if need be lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh god seriously??? That means I need to get a 3 A* prediction for Liverpool then😂that's definitely not happening...do you know what Exeter would want??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that the higher your predictions, the lower your UKCAT needs to be. I think you're ok as long as you have A*AA/AAA predictions. Hoping to get 2 A* predictions from school now. Gonna have to beg for maths on my hands and knees omggggg.
I know that the higher your predictions, the lower your UKCAT needs to be. I think you're ok as long as you have A*AA/AAA predictions. Hoping to get 2 A* predictions from school now. Gonna have to beg for maths on my hands and knees omggggg.

ohh okay cool, realistically I think I'll be predicted A*AA, which is what I was predicted this year so

ah I know it's going to be so much fun :P
ohh okay cool, realistically I think I'll be predicted A*AA, which is what I was predicted this year so

ah I know it's going to be so much fun :P

That sounds good! I got a call from the care home and I got the HCA job wooo! So now I've got to hack up my personal statement and add that and the whole needing to reflect thing. Who's doing the BMAT?
Where are you guys thinking of applying?
My ukcat is on the 25th, haven't really progressed much :/ Anyone who has done it how did you do?
Where are you guys thinking of applying?
My ukcat is on the 25th, haven't really progressed much :/ Anyone who has done it how did you do?

Welcome to the cru. What are your stats?

BSMS, UEA, Exeter and Liverpool, methinks. I think having two BMAT unis is a bit too risky for me. You?

I got 687.5 Band 1. You'll be fine. A lot of it is your mindset on the day. Flagging is super useful! XD
Welcome to the cru. What are your stats?

BSMS, UEA, Exeter and Liverpool, methinks. I think having two BMAT unis is a bit too risky for me. You?

I got 687.5 Band 1. You'll be fine. A lot of it is your mindset on the day. Flagging is super useful! XD

GCSES: 5A* 5As
AS: aaab (b in english lit)
A2: AAB (B in chemistry)

Honestly I thought I should just give up, I have an offer from Manchester for Chemistry but my parents have been telling me to try one more time.
It's so disheartening when all my friends are going off this year and that does tempt me to take chemistry but at the same time I know that Medicine is what I want to do.

I'm thinking Exeter, plymouth and Liverpool, not sure what my 4th would be.

I remember last year when i did my ukcat timing just went out the window, I'd just stay on a question till I worked out the answer which really screwed it up for me.

Have you started writing up your personal statement?
I'm not alone lol

Anyone taking the BMAT?
Original post by H.Ibrahim
I'm not alone lol

Anyone taking the BMAT?

-waves- Welcome to the Resit Squaaaaa.
for BSMS! You? I'm bricking it.

GCSES: 5A* 5As
AS: aaab (b in english lit)
A2: AAB (B in chemistry)

Honestly I thought I should just give up, I have an offer from Manchester for Chemistry but my parents have been telling me to try one more time.
It's so disheartening when all my friends are going off this year and that does tempt me to take chemistry but at the same time I know that Medicine is what I want to do.

I'm thinking Exeter, plymouth and Liverpool, not sure what my 4th would be.

I remember last year when i did my ukcat timing just went out the window, I'd just stay on a question till I worked out the answer which really screwed it up for me.

Have you started writing up your personal statement?

My B at AS was also English Lit :'] we also got the same A2 grades.

Don't give up!! You aren't an idiot, you did well at both GCSE and AS, and just slipped up with the B in chemistry. I get you, I was really tempted to go for Biomed/Biology, but then I thought - all this work for nothing? Nah. I want to go to uni to do a course I want, not a 3year stepping stone.

High five for Exeter and Liverpool! No worries about your 4th option, you still have time to decide.

Yeah, but I need to include the whole thing about reflecting as a resitter and also the fact that I've got this HCA position too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 77

Posted from TSR Mobile

16th, good luck !!! Hopefully it goes our way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Hi guys I'm in the same position too I got an offer from Liverpool but completely flopped some of my maths modules and ended up with AAB :frown: I want to reapply to liverpool but they seemed a bit vague about whether they need mitigating circumstances or not now, anyone know for sure that they don't? I've declared bereavement as my mitigating circumstances with my school but they said it might not be enough to write a convincing reference because I didn't declare it during my exams. Also any ideas for the reflective part for our personal statements?
Original post by kkn04
Hi guys I'm in the same position too I got an offer from Liverpool but completely flopped some of my maths modules and ended up with AAB :frown: I want to reapply to liverpool but they seemed a bit vague about whether they need mitigating circumstances or not now, anyone know for sure that they don't? I've declared bereavement as my mitigating circumstances with my school but they said it might not be enough to write a convincing reference because I didn't declare it during my exams. Also any ideas for the reflective part for our personal statements?

Yo, I dropped in Maths too. Liverpool don't need extenuating circumstances, however you need an A* prediction in the subject you're resitting. I think I'm gonna relate mine to a quality that you need as a doctor or something. What are you thinking?

Quick Reply