The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johnstond
Ahh nice, I just received an interview from leeds as well, what type of questions did they ask and how long was it? Thanks for the help :smile:

Could you please stop repeatedly posting this?
Reply 241
Original post by Plagioclase

How long did your offers take to come in? I sent mine on tuesday and im constantly chrcking my emails?!
Original post by Semaphore
How long did your offers take to come in? I sent mine on tuesday and im constantly chrcking my emails?!

It varies. UCL took a day, Imperial took about a month, the others took about 2 months (apart from Oxford which took three).

Ye sorry my phone was messing up and was showing that it hadn't posted 😁
Original post by Johnstond
Ye sorry my phone was messing up and was showing that it hadn't posted 😁

So where else did you apply other than Oxford, imperial and UCL
I was wondering this exact same thing a few hours ago in mapping! According to the OED, it's "Gray-Wakeh"... so a strange juxtaposition of the English and German pronounciations. Having said that, I heard people pronouncing it "Gray-Wackie" and "Grey-Wack" today (including a demonstrator) so maybe it's a question nobody really knows the answer to.

I don't think it's "Gray-vacker" though since most anglicised German words don't retain the original pronounciation.

Good choice, might see you next year! Did you have an interview this week? I know they've been carrying out Skype interviews.

Okay thank you! some of my pronunciations to geological phenomenon are hilarious:biggrin:
Original post by NimbleNeil
I know it's their minimum offer :redface: How rare is it? I think it probably reflects my predicted grades more than any exceptional performance in the interview.

Ahhh oh well - Thank you :smile:! Have you had an offer yet?

Yes, got 3 As as well :smile: I had no idea how the interview had gone though!
Original post by Williams97
Yes, got 3 As as well :smile: I had no idea how the interview had gone though!

Well I thought mine had been sub-par, I stumbled my words a fair amount and was thinking too quickly, I also had a sick feeling that i'd got a description of the factors that affect the strength of an ionic lattice wrong so I was dreading receiving news about whether I had an offer or not!
Reply 248
It varies. UCL took a day, Imperial took about a month, the others took about 2 months (apart from Oxford which took three).

Hey :smile: I received a invitation to a pre-offer interview thingy from southampton? Is this compulsory to go? What does it mean?
Hey :smile: I received a invitation to a pre-offer interview thingy from southampton? Is this compulsory to go? What does it mean?

If it's the same thing I got then yes, it is compulsory. There are a few talks, a tour around the NOC (and accommodation but that's optional) and an interview.
Reply 250
If it's the same thing I got then yes, it is compulsory. There are a few talks, a tour around the NOC (and accommodation but that's optional) and an interview.

Reply 251
Got an offer from Exeter for Geology ABB. Is this anything to be happy for?

Got an offer from Exeter for Geology ABB. Is this anything to be happy for?

Well if you want to go to Exeter, I assume so?
Reply 253
Well if you want to go to Exeter, I assume so?

Why didnt you apply to it? Is it a good uni?

It was too far away for me and I found Bristol and Southampton's modules more appealing to my personal interests. I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount about Exeter, I think it's in a very pretty location though?

Geology at Exeter is taught here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.1716828,-5.1244502,684m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Whereas the Exeter university campus and Exeter itself are 100 miles away.
That's what put me off completely.
Original post by NimbleNeil
Well I thought mine had been sub-par, I stumbled my words a fair amount and was thinking too quickly, I also had a sick feeling that i'd got a description of the factors that affect the strength of an ionic lattice wrong so I was dreading receiving news about whether I had an offer or not!

Did everyone you speak to have completely different interviews? When I was there you'd have no idea we were all applying to the same course they were that far removed from each other!
Reply 257
That's exactly what put me off applying to Exeter, I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere at uni. It hasn't even got good transport links.
By the way, if any of you are interested in Seismology, you might want to subscribe to the Earthquake Notification Service. They send you an email when an earthquake happens in the world (you can set minimum magnitude thresholds so you don't get spammed) and it has links to lots of interesting information like damage predictions, shake maps, focal mechanisms and seismographs.
Looks interesting!
Good Luck to everyone who has their interview for Oxford on 6th, you all are amazing! Hope for the best!

By the way, if any of you are interested in Seismology, you might want to subscribe to the Earthquake Notification Service. They send you an email when an earthquake happens in the world (you can set minimum magnitude thresholds so you don't get spammed) and it has links to lots of interesting information like damage predictions, shake maps, focal mechanisms and seismographs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending