The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Headingtonian
Any fellow Earth Scientists for Worcester? :smile:

I got an offer a so well 😄 see you next year!
Original post by Headingtonian
Any fellow Earth Scientists for Worcester? :smile:

I got an offer as well 😄 see you next year!
Reply 382
Hi! So with the results out, I had achieved the conditions by Imperial for Geology. I had never learnt or know in-depth about rocks and earth, so I'd like to ask if there're any books that I can read in these few months to prepare myself? And also, many people I've met questioned my choice and doubted if I can get a job with a geology degree. I really do like geology and people said this is the most important key. But I would like to know about the job outlook. I have searched through the Internet and did read a number of people having difficulties in finding a job after graduating. So for those who have or going to graduate, is this a scenario that we always find ourselves in? If, let's say, I graduate with great scores, it is possible to find a job with good pays, isn't it?
Original post by Janel32
Hi! So with the results out, I had achieved the conditions by Imperial for Geology. I had never learnt or know in-depth about rocks and earth, so I'd like to ask if there're any books that I can read in these few months to prepare myself? And also, many people I've met questioned my choice and doubted if I can get a job with a geology degree. I really do like geology and people said this is the most important key. But I would like to know about the job outlook. I have searched through the Internet and did read a number of people having difficulties in finding a job after graduating. So for those who have or going to graduate, is this a scenario that we always find ourselves in? If, let's say, I graduate with great scores, it is possible to find a job with good pays, isn't it?

It really depends on the economic climate.
Right now, there is a downturn in the oil industry which means the biggest paying sector for Geologists is difficult to get into right now. The mining industry, another highly paid sector also isn't looking too great right now.
Realistically, if you want to better your chances you'll need a Masters as well
Geology is a very hit and miss career; some make big bucks, whereas others not so much. But people who are telling you there are no jobs are full of ****, because Geology actually fares well in terms of employment prospects when compared with other subjects. And you're going to Imperial, a top uni in the place where most of the oil companies are based.
Ignore what people tell you about Geology, because there are a lot of misconceptions surrounding it, and some people are incredibly ignorant about it. "Not a real subject." "Not a real science." Stuff like that.
Reply 384
I see..thanks Shane Webb! :smile: So other than oil and gas or mining industry, what other careers that we can look forward for? If we study geology, after we graduate, can we go for something like geotechnicals and engineering sectors?
Original post by Janel32
I see..thanks Shane Webb! :smile: So other than oil and gas or mining industry, what other careers that we can look forward for? If we study geology, after we graduate, can we go for something like geotechnicals and engineering sectors?

It honestly depend on what modules you do at uni.
If you do Paleontology modules, you could try and get a job as a curator in a museum.
If you do hydrogeology modules, you could become a hydrogeologist.
Environmental Geology leads to a wealth of jobs in environmental consulting, I'd say this is probably the most stable.
I think to pursue a career in Petroleum you would aim to do Petroleum Geoscience and Geophysics modules, and for mining you would do Gemnology
You could do geophysics and hazards modules if you wished to pursue a career working in prediction or something like that e.g. Volcanology, Seismology.
Climatology? Another module which could lead to interesting careers.
Then of course there would be a lot of transitional skills on a Geology career which link into to other fields. One of the draws of Geology for me is how diverse it is. Here are a few websites about prospects if you're still unsure:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/geoscientist_salary.htm
http://university.which.co.uk/subjects/geology
"The UK is officially short of geologists of many different kinds, but we produced a few more than usual last year. We're not the only country in need of good geologists, which is why one in nine UK geology graduates left the country in 2012 to work and the average starting salary for a UK geology graduate getting a job abroad was nearly £35,000 rising to over £50,000 in Australia - which compares very favourably with other degrees. And with oil, gas and mining all very big business, and geologists vital to those industries, good geologists will be in demand for a while yet."
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/careers/geology/

Overall, don't worry. The picture is not bleak with Geology. It's not we're studying Anthropology, Theology, English literature or anything like that. Of course, our prospects naturally won't be as great as stuff like Medicine, Dentistry and Chemical Engineering.
I'd say it ranks medium to good in terms of employability when compared with other degrees.
To be honest, I want to get out of the UK anyway, as I don't like the way we're going right now. With mass university attendance on the rise, along with massive student loans which will result in less disposable income coupled with growing house prices in England, all degrees aren't great for our generation.
But with a Geology degree, I have a greater chance of moving elsewhere :smile:
Original post by Janel32

To answer the book question, here are some general ones I enjoyed:

The Goldilocks Planet (Zalasiwicz) - a clearly written introduction to the history of the life, the planet and its climate

How to build a Habitable Planet (Langmuir & Broecker) - a pretty comprehensive narrative of the history of the planet, a bit more complex though (roughly first-year degree level) - good though

The Two-Mile Time Machine (Alley) - a great introduction to paleoclimatology

The Earth: An intimate history (Fortey) - sort of feels like a mix between a travel book and natural history. Bit too wordy for me, lots of people like it though.

Earth Story (Lamb & Sington) - a good general introduction into geology for people who haven't studied it before, with lots of good diagrams. You can get it very cheaply second hand.

Reply 387
Thank you, Plagioclase and thank you again to Shane Webb. Thank you so much for your massive help by giving me detailed insights and recommendations. :smile:
Is anyone thinking about going to UCL or Southampton to do Geophysics?
Reply 389
PREDICTED GRADES- AAB- geography, physics and media studies
Applied for Environmental science to UCL, Exeter, Southampton, queen Mary and university of Manchester. i got an offer from queen mary.
Manchester and Southampton invited me for a ucas day, i was wondering is it crucial that i attend the ucas day?
Also has anyone else applied for Environmental science/ geoscience
Original post by GeorgiaQ
Is anyone thinking about going to UCL or Southampton to do Geophysics?

I applied for Geophysics to Southampton but I haven't got an offer from them yet hahaha 😅
Original post by dealer
PREDICTED GRADES- AAB- geography, physics and media studies
Applied for Environmental science to UCL, Exeter, Southampton, queen Mary and university of Manchester. i got an offer from queen mary.
Manchester and Southampton invited me for a ucas day, i was wondering is it crucial that i attend the ucas day?
Also has anyone else applied for Environmental science/ geoscience

No. I didn't go and they gave me an offer. Instead I've arranged to do a Skype interview with them for the scholarship.
Reply 392
Original post by Shane Webb
No. I didn't go and they gave me an offer. Instead I've arranged to do a Skype interview with them for the scholarship.

Thank you
Reply 393
Anyone else applied for Earth science for September 2016?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I've applied for Geoscience at Keele University :smile:
Reply 395
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I've applied for Geoscience at Keele University :smile:

I've applied for an actual degree in Earth Science at Newcastle, Glasgow and Manchester! :smile:
Original post by jenmc11
I've applied for an actual degree in Earth Science at Newcastle, Glasgow and Manchester! :smile:

Ah okay, sounds interesting :smile:
Original post by darkeeveee
I applied for Geophysics to Southampton but I haven't got an offer from them yet hahaha 😅

What are your predicted grades? Mine are ABB. Have you been invited to an interview on 3rd Feb because I was meant to be going to an interview but they've given me the offer before the interview.
Original post by GeorgiaQ
What are your predicted grades? Mine are ABB. Have you been invited to an interview on 3rd Feb because I was meant to be going to an interview but they've given me the offer before the interview.

My predicted grades are A*AA hahaha they haven't given me an offer yet ;_; I'm international hahaha
Good luck on the interview btw!!
Reply 399
anyone applying for imperial received their offer? I just got an interview coming and I never study geology (or Geography) before and I have mentioned it in my ps. So what i can prepare for the interview? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending