English: discursive essay topics. Watch

Emma_watson23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, I'm currently in S5 and I've just started doing my highers. For our English portfolio, one of the things we have been asked is to provide is a discursive essay. I don't really want to do the same old topics. I wanted to bring something new to the table. What kind of topics do you think would be new and good to do. So far I have the idea of doing 'has technology ruined family life?'. Any ideas? 😕

Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScotDoc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did a piece on black market organ trafficking and it got 15/15, My teachers hadn't heard of many other people doing this topic (in my area at least).

EDIT = Also technology pieces can be quite overdone/typical. Not to say you can't do that topic, just be careful and write it originally and with a personal touch. Don't follow conventional technology type essay plans. Do your own thing :P
ROC10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emma_watson23)
Hey, I'm currently in S5 and I've just started doing my highers. For our English portfolio, one of the things we have been asked is to provide is a discursive essay. I don't really want to do the same old topics. I wanted to bring something new to the table. What kind of topics do you think would be new and good to do. So far I have the idea of doing 'has technology ruined family life?'. Any ideas? 😕Thank you in advance.
Last year, when I did Higher English, I did my persuasive piece on the topic of begging.

I think your idea does sound interesting, although you may find it is quite commonly done. The main thing when it comes to writing a persuasive essay is that you are passionate about your topic and can keep the flow of your argument going throughout the piece.

Good luck!
qasim-98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did my persuasive essay on making charity donating compulsory through introducing legislation that would deduct £1 a month from your annual wage, and then redistribute it throughout the voluntary sector of the British economy, I know nobody did this idea because I made it up . I don't know how I did on it but I did get an A for English, so maybe it might help you spark off an idea
Emma_watson23
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROC10)
Last year, when I did Higher English, I did my persuasive piece on the topic of begging.

I think your idea does sound interesting, although you may find it is quite commonly done. The main thing when it comes to writing a persuasive essay is that you are passionate about your topic and can keep the flow of your argument going throughout the piece.

Good luck!
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma_watson23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zain-A)
I did a piece on black market organ trafficking and it got 15/15, My teachers hadn't heard of many other people doing this topic (in my area at least).

EDIT = Also technology pieces can be quite overdone/typical. Not to say you can't do that topic, just be careful and write it originally and with a personal touch. Don't follow conventional technology type essay plans. Do your own thing :P
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma_watson23
Rep:
?
(Original post by qasim-98)
I did my persuasive essay on making charity donating compulsory through introducing legislation that would deduct £1 a month from your annual wage, and then redistribute it throughout the voluntary sector of the British economy, I know nobody did this idea because I made it up . I don't know how I did on it but I did get an A for English, so maybe it might help you spark off an idea
Sounds like a good idea! Thank you ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
caitlynm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can I ask from what perspective you looked at black market organ trafficking?, as I'm thinking of looking at the same topic but don't want to look at it from an overused perspective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (152)
18.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (80)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.46%

Watched Threads