The Student Room Group

level 3 Extended btec diploma in business studies

Hello!

This is my first thread, so be easy if I'm not doing everything right. Yesterday I didnt get the grades to do A-Levels, so I'm opting for a Btec, could someone tell me what the work load will be like, how the deadlines are, how I would study for this and other things I may need to know:biggrin: I done GCSE business with AQA and got a D in the exam and B in the coursework! (just so you know)

Thanks!!!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Firstly welcome to the forum.

In regards to BTEC Business, I did the Extended diploma which meant that I did the 18 units. I managed to achieve D*D*D* and I barely did any work at home. As long as you work in your free periods and your lessons you should be fine. The work is not to difficult and this course is a good entry into university if that is what you are hoping to do.

Some of the things you will do you would have already done at GCSE but it does start to get more difficult as you go further on.

If you have anymore questions, I would be happy to help if you wish :smile:
Original post by nottreece
Hi, Firstly welcome to the forum.

In regards to BTEC Business, I did the Extended diploma which meant that I did the 18 units. I managed to achieve D*D*D* and I barely did any work at home. As long as you work in your free periods and your lessons you should be fine. The work is not to difficult and this course is a good entry into university if that is what you are hoping to do.

Some of the things you will do you would have already done at GCSE but it does start to get more difficult as you go further on.

If you have anymore questions, I would be happy to help if you wish :smile:

Thanks for your reply! D* is like an A*? What I was planning is to go to uni to do business so that's good to hear! Something else I was wondering, if D* is like the top grade, then how much time and effort would it take? How much would be set a week? And how large would it be?Sorry, I have all these questions and I won't be able to get them answered until I actually start 😊
Hi,

Yes D* is the equivalent of an A*. I did an A level alongside my extended diploma and for me I still managed to get the top grade in business by just working all through the school day. This meant that when I got home I didn't have to do any school work. With BTEC's it is all about how you manage your time and your writing style. Also each sixth form and college will be different on how they run the BTEC and what sort of deadlines. I wouldnt worry to much as if you have done business before it will not be too difficult for you.

Don't bother about asking the questions, that is the reason that I am on the forum to help people as much as possible :smile:
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can help me what jobs are available after doing business BTEC level 3 and what could I do in uni that would tie in with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

BTEC business may be limited to what jobs you can get after the course, it can lead to basic jobs such as administration jobs and personnel clerks and things like that, however this course is a great opportunity to get into university.

The obvious choice to go and study at uni would be of course business-related courses such as Business management, HR, Marketing and accounting and finance. However if you was looking at something in particular, you might be able to find some uni's that will let you onto the course with the BTEC business.

Hope this helps a bit more and if you have anymore questions just let me know and I will be happy to help you :smile:
Hi,

BTEC business may be limited to what jobs you can get after the course, it can lead to basic jobs such as administration jobs and personnel clerks and things like that, however this course is a great opportunity to get into university.

The obvious choice to go and study at uni would be of course business-related courses such as Business management, HR, Marketing and accounting and finance. However if you was looking at something in particular, you might be able to find some uni's that will let you onto the course with the BTEC business.

Hope this helps a bit more and if you have anymore questions just let me know and I will be happy to help you :smile:

Also with doing a business degree, if i wanted to become a teacher in business or head of department, how would i go about doing that? or what would put me on a good platform to do it?
Being a teacher of business is what I am wanting to go and do, the entry into this is by gaining a degree in the subject that you are wanting to teach, so in this case it would be a business degree.

Once achieving the degree there are different entries into teaching. One option is where you get your PGCE from a university or the second option is the school direct option which is where you do the majority of the training in a school, however you will till go to uni to do some other training.

The link below is a website which is very useful for people who are wanting to become a teacher an I have found it very useful.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Hope that this helps and if you would like anymore help then just let me know :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

Yes D* is the equivalent of an A*. I did an A level alongside my extended diploma and for me I still managed to get the top grade in business by just working all through the school day. This meant that when I got home I didn't have to do any school work. With BTEC's it is all about how you manage your time and your writing style. Also each sixth form and college will be different on how they run the BTEC and what sort of deadlines. I wouldnt worry to much as if you have done business before it will not be too difficult for you.

Don't bother about asking the questions, that is the reason that I am on the forum to help people as much as possible :smile:

What A level did you do with it? Also what uni have you gone to and to do what?
Hi,

I did A level ICT and also did an EPQ during the second year. I am going into my final year at Nottingham Trent studying BA Business and hopefully applying to do a PGCE next year to start my teacher training.
Hi,

I did A level ICT and also did an EPQ during the second year. I am going into my final year at Nottingham Trent studying BA Business and hopefully applying to do a PGCE next year to start my teacher training.

I didnt study a business GCSE, would i find this btec too difficult or impossible to get D*'S which is what im aiming for? Also, i want to study a level economics, would the workload be too much if I did an A level alongside?
Reply 11
Don't worry about having not studied business before, I've been out of education for 3 years and went back to college to study business and got D*D* this year. As long as you're able to put your head down and do the work when it's set you'll do fine man.
Hi I'm taking the btec level 3 extended dimploma in business which is equivalent to 3 A levels. I also have to do my English gcse as I had a D in it by missing only one mark! Wanted to ask if I can enter to universities with this course and also would universities change their mind and saying we're not accepting any btec in like 2 years time when I would finish this course? Because now they're responding that they do accept this course if you want to do accounting and finance course at uni but I was just so scared if they don't. Can someone please reply thanks
I mean if they no longer accept this course in 2 years time
Reply 14
Hi I really want to do accounting and finance as well and after doing research Unis do acknowledge Btecs like Warwick and Loughborough aslong as you meet their grade requirements and have good Gcses so you would need to get like a B in english
If I do a level 3 diploma in business and get top grades would I be able to go to university and do sports journalism if I get the correct points
Hi,

If I took level 3 diploma in business and got the correct points could I go to university and take sport journalism
Reply 17
Original post by Harrysjw11
If I do a level 3 diploma in business and get top grades would I be able to go to university and do sports journalism if I get the correct points

Do you do the Extended Diploma or just the Diploma?

Some will require the Extended Diploma with DDM-MMM grades, e.g. University of Brighton. Also, unis with tariff points may require a higher tariff score than it is possible to achieve in just the diploma, for example, Gloucestershire require 120 UCAS points (Maximum in the Diploma is 112).

Southampton Solent University, Bedfordshire and University of East London all accept D*D* in the Diploma alone.

Hope this helps
Original post by yt7777
Do you do the Extended Diploma or just the Diploma?

Some will require the Extended Diploma with DDM-MMM grades, e.g. University of Brighton. Also, unis with tariff points may require a higher tariff score than it is possible to achieve in just the diploma, for example, Gloucestershire require 120 UCAS points (Maximum in the Diploma is 112).

Southampton Solent University, Bedfordshire and University of East London all accept D*D* in the Diploma alone.

Hope this helps

Extended diploma and ok so if I do this I can take the sports journalism course at uni if I get the points
Reply 19
Original post by Harrysjw11
Extended diploma and ok so if I do this I can take the sports journalism course at uni if I get the points

Easily

Quick Reply

Latest