WJEC English Literature AS level advice

Watch
katesiebobs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm starting AS level WJEC English Literature in 10 days, any advice for the course?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just finished an A-level in WJEC English lit so I can be of some help

During both AS and A2 coursework accounts for 40% of your overall grade. You go through 2 books at AS (ours was about colonialist / imperialist powers and the people they oppressed and our own creative writing pieces) and three at A2 (the presentation of women by Huxley / Shakespeare / Pope).

The AS exam is split in two - poetry and drama, each a 30 marker. You get a choice of two questions. They usually ask about theme / literary techniques / characters. Most people study Larkin for the poetry (20th century poet) who has some pretty depressing poems, and Abse to illuminate your knowledge. For the drama it tends to be quite open, I did Arcadia.
Note - you get to take a clean copy of the text into the exam (150mins).

At A2 it's the same again (150 mins, poetry and drama) but no books allowed. You have to learn quotes / critics / poems / themes off by heart. This time the questions are 40 marks each.

Hope this helps
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also I realised I just misread the question. As for advice:

Take as much time as possible to go over things with teachers, even if it takes up lunch hours or after school - it will pay off, especially with coursework

Actually read the texts thoroughly and understand them. If you're confused about something and it comes up in the exam you're screwed

Get your head around the social / biographical / historical / personal context of when the author was writing. Why is he writing in this way / which way was he leaning politically / were there any deaths in his life etc

Learn some short and snappy critical quotes that you can apply to anything. The best one is "poetry makes nothing happen"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads