Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Muslims - can I get a student loan without sinning? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Muslim convert and have yet to tell my parents about this. I don't plan on doing it anytime soon either. I'll be starting university next September and, with fees being so high, will need to take out a loan. However, I know riba is haram and this would mean I can't take out a loan and ultimately won't be able to go to university. This isn't a choice for me - my parents expect me to go.

On the other hand, I don't know a great deal about riba and what is actually prohibited. I always thought that giving out interest is haram as opposed to being the victim, not both. So, can anyone shed some light on this? Also, what if I don't work after I graduate? Will this still count as riba, considering I'm not actually paying back the interest? I could be getting married after uni and probably won't be working.

Also, please no judgmental comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    I'm a Muslim convert and have yet to tell my parents about this. I don't plan on doing it anytime soon either. I'll be starting university next September and, with fees being so high, will need to take out a loan. However, I know riba is haram and this would mean I can't take out a loan and ultimately won't be able to go to university. This isn't a choice for me - my parents expect me to go.

On the other hand, I don't know a great deal about riba and what is actually prohibited. I always thought that giving out interest is haram as opposed to being the victim, not both. So, can anyone shed some light on this? Also, what if I don't work after I graduate? Will this still count as riba, considering I'm not actually paying back the interest? I could be getting married after uni and probably won't be working.

Also, please no judgmental comments
    Well, my mum spoke to me about this issue and she confirmed that the loan and riba part is haram once its being paid back, one solution to this would be not to get a job that earns over 21 thousand - as then you will have to pay it back, and thats the sin part, however if you get a job that earns up to 21 thousand there is no harm in taking the student loan as you are committing no haram. Also, there is a view that going to uni and taking the loan is kind of a last option as the fees cannot be afforded, therefore it is regarded as acceptable by few, because you are not using the fees for yourself, ie: eating, shopping...etc. This is basically how my mum explained it to me so I understood the concept of Riba, hope it was helpful!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.