The Student Room Group

Work experience at a university help!

- Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, the careers one doesn't let me upload a thread-

Hi!

So I've got my GCSE results back and they were higher than expected. I like the look of a biological-related degree like genetics, biosciences, bio med, but not too sure yet.

I have no idea how to start looking and who to contact? On QMUL site they have the degrees I can do my experience in and a list of the lecturers/professors- do I just simply e-mail them? If thats the case, what do I include in the e-mail?

Does anyone know any good places to get work experience for these sectors? Or just advice in general?

Thank you and I hope everyone who received results this year were happy- good luck to people starting uni too! :h:
Reply 1
Have you taken a look at a Nuffield placement? I have a friend who did some physics research with them and he thought it was amazing.
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
Original post by not you
Have you taken a look at a Nuffield placement? I have a friend who did some physics research with them and he thought it was amazing.

Jesus Christ this is amazing! Thank you so much! I'll deffo consider this! :biggrin:
Original post by not you

Ah I'm on a World Challenge expedition for 2 weeks mid-holiday so I don't have enough time to complete the project :frown: Thank you so much for the help anyway! I'll keep that for summer of year 13!
Reply 4
Original post by ImagineCats
Ah I'm on a World Challenge expedition for 2 weeks mid-holiday so I don't have enough time to complete the project :frown: Thank you so much for the help anyway! I'll keep that for summer of year 13!

Ah that sucks, good luck with finding somewhere else. You can try asking your school's science teachers if they know anyone in university labs or even someone who teaches at university, and if they could ask them to find a placement for you in their labs.
- Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, the careers one doesn't let me upload a thread-

Hi!

So I've got my GCSE results back and they were higher than expected. I like the look of a biological-related degree like genetics, biosciences, bio med, but not too sure yet.

I have no idea how to start looking and who to contact? On QMUL site they have the degrees I can do my experience in and a list of the lecturers/professors- do I just simply e-mail them? If thats the case, what do I include in the e-mail?

Does anyone know any good places to get work experience for these sectors? Or just advice in general?

Thank you and I hope everyone who received results this year were happy- good luck to people starting uni too! :h:

Yes, do precisely that - email them. I contacted the undergraduate admissions tutor at UCL who redirected me towards a researcher in his department who could offer me a placement so maybe you could start with the undergraduate tutor at QMUL. As suggested above, definitely apply for the Nuffield Research Placement. It is pretty competitive though and I didn't get a place, which is why I went directly to the universities in the first place.
Original post by Plagioclase
Yes, do precisely that - email them. I contacted the undergraduate admissions tutor at UCL who redirected me towards a researcher in his department who could offer me a placement so maybe you could start with the undergraduate tutor at QMUL. As suggested above, definitely apply for the Nuffield Research Placement. It is pretty competitive though and I didn't get a place, which is why I went directly to the universities in the first place.

Congratulations on the placement! Can I ask what you included in the e-mail? Also if I have the e-mail for a head professor at the uni can I just email them or is that informal? Thank you!
Congratulations on the placement! Can I ask what you included in the e-mail? Also if I have the e-mail for a head professor at the uni can I just email them or is that informal? Thank you!

I can PM you the email I sent if that's helpful? Do you mean Head professor of the entire university or just the department?
Original post by Plagioclase
I can PM you the email I sent if that's helpful? Do you mean Head professor of the entire university or just the department?

The department, and I have e-mails of the lecturers too. Yes please if thats okay! Thank you!
The department, and I have e-mails of the lecturers too. Yes please if thats okay! Thank you!

I've sent you the email. Who you contact is up to you, to be honest. I think the undergraduate tutor is probably a good bet but the head of department is probably fine too. Either should be able to redirect you to someone who's able to offer you a placement (if they are able to offer you one).

Quick Reply

Latest