Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I just received my GCSE results and I achieved an A in chemistry. However, I missed my maths GCSE (C) by one mark. I have always been weak at maths, and much stronger at essay based subjects (I am doing English lit, history, politics +EPQ) however I wanted to choose a science to be a broader candidate. Is my lack of mathematical ability going to effect me in chemistry significantly ? Should I possibly choose biology instead ?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for it. Choose chemistry! The maths you do in chemistry is not like the maths you studied as a subject. As long as you understand ratios and fractions, and the basics of maths, you should be fine.
    I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Im also weak at maths and worried about applying for A Level chemistry but today I went for it and happy I made the decsion to. There are maths books that can help you specifically for A Level Chemistry ( Math Skills for Chemistry). Be brave. You can do it!!

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely do chemistry if you enjoy the subject. If you are worried about how much maths is embedded in the content, well it's not the majority. I can't speak for the A2 course but only for AS level chemistry. I'll give you a list of the kind of maths that will be involved . (I did the OCR course so i can't speak on behalf of any exam boards besides this one).

Mole calculations - bunch of equations
    Empirical formula - So ratios, simple algebra, division and multiplication (but remember you'll be allowed a calaculator)
    Relative abunadance - learn the equation and how to apply it
    Percentage yield & Atom economy - that kinda thing

Most of these you will have come across during GCSE chemistry. Similar sort of maths. Nothing hard core but can definitely get challenging but with enough practise there is no reason for you not to ace it. Hope this helpled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiramy)
    I think you should go for it. Choose chemistry! The maths you do in chemistry is not like the maths you studied as a subject. As long as you understand ratios and fractions, and the basics of maths, you should be fine.
    I hope this helps

Thankyou! I will take this into consideration

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do chemistry, and are willing to work hard, you'll likely do better than doing a subject in which you're talented but uninterested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ros_eyxoxo)
    You should definitely do chemistry if you enjoy the subject. If you are worried about how much maths is embedded in the content, well it's not the majority. I can't speak for the A2 course but only for AS level chemistry. I'll give you a list of the kind of maths that will be involved . (I did the OCR course so i can't speak on behalf of any exam boards besides this one).

Mole calculations - bunch of equations
    Empirical formula - So ratios, simple algebra, division and multiplication (but remember you'll be allowed a calaculator)
    Relative abunadance - learn the equation and how to apply it
    Percentage yield & Atom economy - that kinda thing

Most of these you will have come across during GCSE chemistry. Similar sort of maths. Nothing hard core but can definitely get challenging but with enough practise there is no reason for you not to ace it. Hope this helpled.

Man I loved empirical formula ! Ok, right I should hopefully be able to do that, perhaps with *annoys all a level students* less subjects it will be easier to learn? As in I am not having to spread my maths skills so thinly ? I can focus on what a specifically need for the a level in terms of math

ReputationRep:
    If u do edexcel a level chemistry not worth it messed alot of people up at my skl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't do a science for the sake of doing a science. Making your range of subjects a bit broader isn't really necessary. Do another subject that you like. If there isn't one, then probably go for chemistry- it should be manageable. If you happen to enjoy memorising an entire textbook, then biology would be an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    Man I loved empirical formula ! Ok, right I should hopefully be able to do that, perhaps with *annoys all a level students* less subjects it will be easier to learn? As in I am not having to spread my maths skills so thinly ? I can focus on what a specifically need for the a level in terms of math
    " less subjects it will be easier to learn?" Bahahahahaha DO NOT assume that, at all. There's a reason why you only take a couple of subjects, it's because 3-4 is more than enough if not too much. I also got an A in chemistry gcse but only got a C in AS level. I'm planning on resitting though next year. If you like it, go for it, don't worry about the maths part. But don't take it because you assume it's easy or just because you got an A in GCSE. You will need to try 10 times harder next year if you want to keep it an A in college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ros_eyxoxo)
    " less subjects it will be easier to learn?" Bahahahahaha DO NOT assume that, at all. There's a reason why you only take a couple of subjects, it's because 3-4 is more than enough if not too much. I also got an A in chemistry gcse but only got a C in AS level. I'm planning on resitting though next year. If you like it, go for it, don't worry about the maths part. But don't take it because you assume it's easy or just because you got an A in GCSE. You will need to try 10 times harder next year if you want to keep it an A in college.

I meant purely in terms of maths, like I was having to remember all the maths needed for Chemsitry, physics and maths itself whereas now it will only be Chemsitry so the maths is less so I can focus on it more ? And ok interesting, why do you think you got a C ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    I meant purely in terms of maths, like I was having to remember all the maths needed for Chemsitry, physics and maths itself whereas now it will only be Chemsitry so the maths is less so I can focus on it more ? And ok interesting, why do you think you got a C ?
    Oops, completely misunderstood you there. My bad. Apologies. Yeah in that case, there will be less to learn. Well it could be a number of different reasons. A levels are completely different to GCSE's. There was no one to tell me just how much of gap there is between the two. I got away with revising last minute in GCSE and getting decent grades but you can't pull that off in college (unless you're super smart, which I'm not saying you aren't btw). Not that I didn't put the effort in when the time came, just that I would recommend you start revising from the very beginning of the course. Also you are expected to be a lot more independent in college so if there is something you don't understand don't wait for the teachers to chase you down and sort you out. You have to sort yourself out. So don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. And finally try to actually understand the content thoroughly and don't just memorise the information in a textbook. In the real exam the questions are always contextualised so you have to be able to apply your knowledge (it's not simply a test of how good of a memory you have, which is the case in some of the GCSE subjects).
    Sorry for the long reply but hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in GCSE and B in AS. The maths is just formula triangles, you just have to remember the equations and sometimes re arrange it, but of course you'll be taught how to do that.

ReputationRep:
    My best subject at GCSE was chemistry, (A*A*AA) and now I'm sitting here sheepishly with a D at AS. Granted, I didn't do much this year (I basically did nothing) but do not underestimate A level chemistry. It's a lot of work and you have to make sure you don't miss anything on the way (i.e. fall behind on anything). It is definitely doable if you have an interest in it because there's quite a bit to get through Just revise please XD

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.