Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this question has been asked a million times but I'm so stuck, literally always changing my mind!
    Also, unsure if this is in the right place.
    So I've been working part time since I left school at 16 and I'm still working now. When I start uni it will be three years that I have worked in retail. I want to be a primary school teacher and if I move away I won't have a job. Will this hinder my chances of getting a job once I graduate? Will I struggle without a job at uni?
    Another thing that worries me about moving away is if I'll do as well. I'm scared that I'll get distracted and won't achieve the grades I would have if I stayed at home.
    So please offer your opinions, advice and personal experiences :-) thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessboo)
    I know this question has been asked a million times but I'm so stuck, literally always changing my mind!
    Also, unsure if this is in the right place.
    So I've been working part time since I left school at 16 and I'm still working now. When I start uni it will be three years that I have worked in retail. I want to be a primary school teacher and if I move away I won't have a job. Will this hinder my chances of getting a job once I graduate? Will I struggle without a job at uni?
    Another thing that worries me about moving away is if I'll do as well. I'm scared that I'll get distracted and won't achieve the grades I would have if I stayed at home.
    So please offer your opinions, advice and personal experiences :-) thank you!
    you might want to see if you can get a transfer to a store near your chosen uni, you might want to use the finance calculator to see what amount of loan you can get and see if you can survive without a job. but also, think if you will be able to juggle a job and also the degree. Have you thought what degree you want to do as different degrees are more full on than others, the BEd for example is a 5 day a week 9-4/5 course, this is at least what it is at my chosen uni. Whereas BA education studies is a 3.5 day a week course. but it does mean doing a PGCE. also as regard to moving, it really depends on the unis near where you live as opposed to the ones away from home you want to go to, visit them all and see what you think of them all. I personally chose to move away from home, simply because i didnt want to commuting an hour each day on the trains. But if you put your mind to it and focus on getting your degree, you wont get distracted due to seeing everyone else around you studying for theirs too.

To me it sounds like you probably need to go away again and look into all your options again and work out what finances you have in place to see if you will be able to afford moving away compared to staying at home. and if the you like the uni and the course at home or if you like the unis away from home more. even if you dont go for another year. its really common for the older student to go to uni, for instance im 20 and just decided to go due to not knowing what i wanted to do, youll find loads of students have decided to do this.

hope this has helped in some way!
    jay

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.