Turn on thread page Beta

A level choice help!!! Psychology or geography?? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have to choose what a levels I am going to take and at the moment I am thinking of biology, chemistry, psychology/ geography, and media. I want to either go into marketing/media or into science research I'm not really sure yet (such diverse options I know I don't know what's wrong with me haha). So yeah I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is better for what I want to do - psychology or geography??? I could do both and drop media but I love media so much I don't have the heart to drop it because I enjoy it so much((( HELP!!!!!!!!

BTW I got 3 A*s and 8 As in my GCSEs, so happy!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveChicken)
    Geography
    I've heard a lot of people saying geography is boring and really hard to achieve high grades in so I'm so stuck!! What would u say makes it better???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethgrace99)
    I've heard a lot of people saying geography is boring and really hard to achieve high grades in so I'm so stuck!! What would u say makes it better???
    Well what did you get in GCSE?
    And it would fit better with 'Science research"

ReputationRep:
    Well what did you get in GCSE?
    And it would fit better with 'Science research"
    I got 3 A*s and 8 As - A*s in French, chemistry and textiles then A in geography, maths, English lit, English Lang, business, media (one mark off A*), biology and physics!!!

So say if I did want to do marketing at uni, do u think these subjects would be ok??

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 A*s and 8 As - A*s in French, chemistry and textiles then A in geography, maths, English lit, English Lang, business, media (one mark off A*), biology and physics!!!

So say if I did want to do marketing at uni, do u think these subjects would be ok??
    You already have a A in geography, so that will help with A-level.
    Also yeah they will be.

ReputationRep:
    You already have a A in geography, so that will help with A-level.
    Also yeah they will be.
    Okay thank you so much!!! I'm so scared to do chemistry though people say it's so hard omg

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you so much!!! I'm so scared to do chemistry though people say it's so hard omg
    Well someone who i know who got 3A* and 7A just got a U in chemistry.....
    But i found it easy, it's not hard at all. I didn't learn at all in any lesson tbh i only just learnt at home revising around April. I got an A at As so it's pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    So I have to choose what a levels I am going to take and at the moment I am thinking of biology, chemistry, psychology/ geography, and media. I want to either go into marketing/media or into science research I'm not really sure yet (such diverse options I know I don't know what's wrong with me haha). So yeah I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is better for what I want to do - psychology or geography??? I could do both and drop media but I love media so much I don't have the heart to drop it because I enjoy it so much((( HELP!!!!!!!!
    I'm taking geography and psychology next year! I'm doing psychology for my career path (although both count as science subjects when combined with biology for some unis) and geography to maintain my sanity. If I had to choose between 1 it would be geography without a doubt- if you had to do a degree in geography it's easier to find a job than a degree in psychology. Geography would compliment the sciences as it's seen as a 'heavier' subject than psych and just much more respected, from what I've heard. Look on UCAS for degrees you like the sound of and see what they say. Sometimes they'll say psychology/geography are counted as sciences- but I say go with geography because you could save someones life if you see a tsunami about to happen or you know how to predict an eruption and you know what to do in an earthquake- I doubt reciting loads of social experiments can save someone's life!
    I think you can change your options towards the end of the first half term, so I could PM you when I start the courses about which one I prefer so you could swap/stick to another? Idk

ReputationRep:
    I'd say psychology cos its so interesting, I loved it although I am biased cos I'm doing it at uni haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Geography.

ReputationRep:
    As a recent Geography Graduate I have to say Geography!

When I was choosing my A-Levels I had not chosen Geography, but due to photography being full I was placed in the Geography class.
    I was dreading it, but it was such a fun subject that connected to current issues around the world and I widely enjoyed it. So much so that I did my degree in Geography and will be on a School Direct Geography Course this September.

Along with this at all the interviews and networking I have done, people have said what a great choice Geography is for any career. This is due to the amount of skills learnt. I was told Geography is often seen as giving people research, statistical, creative, interpretive, laboratory and written skills. Geography is often seen as a well rounded subject.

I am by no means saying Geography is the best subject, but employers and course providers seem to think Geography sets you up for many tasks and especially studying/research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    Definitely Geography.
    thank you!! do you take it for a level and have any tips??x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    I'm taking geography and psychology next year! I'm doing psychology for my career path (although both count as science subjects when combined with biology for some unis) and geography to maintain my sanity. If I had to choose between 1 it would be geography without a doubt- if you had to do a degree in geography it's easier to find a job than a degree in psychology. Geography would compliment the sciences as it's seen as a 'heavier' subject than psych and just much more respected, from what I've heard. Look on UCAS for degrees you like the sound of and see what they say. Sometimes they'll say psychology/geography are counted as sciences- but I say go with geography because you could save someones life if you see a tsunami about to happen or you know how to predict an eruption and you know what to do in an earthquake- I doubt reciting loads of social experiments can save someone's life!
    I think you can change your options towards the end of the first half term, so I could PM you when I start the courses about which one I prefer so you could swap/stick to another? Idk
    im starting next year tooo!!! i think my final choices are going to be Biology, geography, psychology (and media as my 4th to keep my sanity ahaha). I am considering doing psychology at oxford or human sciences so hopefully these subjects will be okay!! i dont know whether to take chemistry instead of media though and have psychology as a 4th though:////

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlouking)
    As a recent Geography Graduate I have to say Geography!

When I was choosing my A-Levels I had not chosen Geography, but due to photography being full I was placed in the Geography class.
    I was dreading it, but it was such a fun subject that connected to current issues around the world and I widely enjoyed it. So much so that I did my degree in Geography and will be on a School Direct Geography Course this September.

Along with this at all the interviews and networking I have done, people have said what a great choice Geography is for any career. This is due to the amount of skills learnt. I was told Geography is often seen as giving people research, statistical, creative, interpretive, laboratory and written skills. Geography is often seen as a well rounded subject.

I am by no means saying Geography is the best subject, but employers and course providers seem to think Geography sets you up for many tasks and especially studying/research.
    This was really helpful thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    thank you!! do you take it for a level and have any tips??x
    I definitely did and got an A*. I dropped Psychology after AS however, because I found it boring haha. The only tips I could give are to read around - for example keeping on top of the news, because you can always refer to current events for extra marks in the exam. Make sure your case studies are in as much detail as possible and make sure you learn all of them because they're important in essays!

Good luck if you're doing Geography, I really enjoyed it so hopefully you will too.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.