Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused about the UKCAT and BMAT tests. What are they? I am starting studying AS this September (Chemistry, Biology, French and English or History) so I still have two years at college but I was wondering whether I can take these tests this year, if so if this is a good idea or not and if I am able to resit them if I don't do well, as I know medical schools are very competitive so I don't want to mess up the tests if I only get one shot at them. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Their admissions tests for Universities which you have to take! Some universities will accept only BMAT (oxbridge, imperial, UCL etc...) and The rest will do UKCAT! Only Birmingham doesn't need an admissions test but they focus on GCSEs ALOT!

The test results are only valid for the application cycle that you're applying in so if you apply in Sept 2016 only the test results from taken in summer of 2016 will be valid! (Note: BMAT is in November AFTER application deadline)

Both BMAT and UKCAT have very different exam style, you can choose to do both, or only BMAT or only UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjm1998)
    I'm really confused about the UKCAT and BMAT tests. What are they? I am starting studying AS this September (Chemistry, Biology, French and English or History) so I still have two years at college but I was wondering whether I can take these tests this year, if so if this is a good idea or not and if I am able to resit them if I don't do well, as I know medical schools are very competitive so I don't want to mess up the tests if I only get one shot at them. Thank you
    UKCAT is an IQ-test style 2-hour exam you will have to sit between July and October 2016 if you're applying for 2017 entry. It consists of 4 sections (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning and decision analysis) as well as a situation judgement test. It is required by the majority of British medical schools to assess suitability for the medicine course.

BMAT is a more knowledge-based test you will need to sit if you want to apply to the handful of universities that use it to select (Cambridge, Oxford, ICL, Leeds and others). It will be in November of 2016.

There would be no point sitting the UKCAT this year for 2017 entry as your score is only valid for one year. I'm 99% sure the BMAT is similar in this regard. In summary, you have one shot and can't resit, unless you take a gap year and apply during that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    Their admissions tests for Universities which you have to take! Some universities will accept only BMAT (oxbridge, imperial, UCL etc...) and The rest will do UKCAT! Only Birmingham doesn't need an admissions test but they focus on GCSEs ALOT!

The test results are only valid for the application cycle that you're applying in so if you apply in Sept 2016 only the test results from taken in summer of 2016 will be valid! (Note: BMAT is in November AFTER application deadline)

Both BMAT and UKCAT have very different exam style, you can choose to do both, or only BMAT or only UKCAT
    Birmingham does use the UKCAT, perhaps you were thinking of Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anti-Dirac)
    Birmingham does use the UKCAT, perhaps you were thinking of Bristol?
    Oh, when I was looking at applying a few years ago they didn't use it, they must have changed it since!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.