Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my GCSE results (10 A*s, 2 As) on Thursday, and i was wondering which universities I should try for medicine with them? Should I be considering Oxbridge, as I know that medicine is very competitive already so maybe I shouldn't?

Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths- A*
    English Lit - A*
    History - A*
    RS- A*
    French - A*
    Spanish - A*
    Music - A
    English Language - A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miapham09)
    I got my GCSE results (10 A*s, 2 As) on Thursday, and i was wondering which universities I should try for medicine with them? Should I be considering Oxbridge, as I know that medicine is very competitive already so maybe I shouldn't?
    Yes, you should consider Oxford or Cambridge, if you like. Oxford in particular uses GCSE results to select applicants for interview. I think Cambridge likes to see very high UMS scores iirc.

(The rest of your application will obviously need to be in order too e.g. , A2 predictions, BMAT, personal statement, etc)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper

Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths- A*
    English Lit - A*
    History - A*
    RS- A*
    French - A*
    Spanish - A*
    Music - A
    English Language - A
    Hey, this might help to have a look at: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements

ReputationRep:

Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths- A*
    English Lit - A*
    History - A*
    RS- A*
    French - A*
    Spanish - A*
    Music - A
    English Language - A
    Please remove yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Physics - A*
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths- A*
    English Lit - A*
    History - A*
    RS- A*
    French - A*
    Spanish - A*
    Music - A
    English Language - A
    Oxford releases data on its applicants here. You'd be below the average for an offer holder but I would not say they were prohibitive at all. Just like everyone else, it would all come down to BMAT and interview.

Cambridge oes indeed use AS UMS heavily. The normal recommendation is that you need to average >90 to stand a chance, >92 to stand a reasonably good chance.

Medicine is a very varied course so I'd recommend looking into which teaching style and course structure you are interested in, which med schools your application profile is suited to, and then to a lesser extent things like location etc.

(Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    Please remove yourself
    Given the courses in question its a reasonable question actually.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool, Lancaster, Bristol, Birmingham and Cardiff are all quite GCSE- heavy uni's, so you'll have a good chance of interview there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I got 10a* and 1 a at GCSE however am having second thoughts about my A Level choices. I have currently chosen Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics, and I am strong at all of these. However I am unsure whether I should replace Physics with Geography, German or possibly even English Lit. My reasons for this is that I often got bored with GCSE physics, and doing all science is supposed to be quite heavy. On the other hand I have been told universities like physics for medicine, and also I got bored fairly often with geography an English, and I disliked the oral part of German. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should stick with physics, or take something like German? Also, do medic schools like Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh really prefer taking all sciences? Will I have any advantage?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyRoseD)
    Hi!
    I got 10a* and 1 a at GCSE however am having second thoughts about my A Level choices. I have currently chosen Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics, and I am strong at all of these. However I am unsure whether I should replace Physics with Geography, German or possibly even English Lit. My reasons for this is that I often got bored with GCSE physics, and doing all science is supposed to be quite heavy. On the other hand I have been told universities like physics for medicine, and also I got bored fairly often with geography an English, and I disliked the oral part of German. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should stick with physics, or take something like German? Also, do medic schools like Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh really prefer taking all sciences? Will I have any advantage?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whoever told you Physics is preferred is chatting **** because it literally doesn't make a blind bit of difference whether it's that or History or Psychology. Whichever you prefer.

And as for the OP: I'm sure you know full well that 10 A*s is more than enough to apply to any medical school. Stop fishing for compliments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    Do you think 7 A*s and 3 As are good enough for medicine?
    Also I have heard that Cambridge pays more attention to the UMS grades of the AS exams than to GCSEs but I am doing IB. Are these equivalent to my results in the Year 12 exams?
    Thanks in advance! smile emoticon
    Your wondering if 7 A*'s is enough for medicine? There have been people without any a*'s that I know of that have got into Cambridge doing medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walt_14)
    Whoever told you Physics is preferred is chatting **** because it literally doesn't make a blind bit of difference whether it's that or History or Psychology. Whichever you prefer.

And as for the OP: I'm sure you know full well that 10 A*s is more than enough to apply to any medical school. Stop fishing for compliments.
    Loooool I hate it when people do that aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got my GCSE results (10 A*s, 2 As)
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    Do you think 7 A*s and 3 As are good enough for medicine?
    Okay I've had it with this.

I know you are all worried about not being able to face the hordes of people applying for medicine. Yes, it is very competitive. Yes, GCSE's will be taken into account. However having any number of A*s will not make you the ideal candidate for medicine.

Especially at Oxbridge and other prestigious institutions, they look more for the fit of the candidate. Sure, this person can score 90%+ on all their chemistry exams, but how well do they cope in an ever changing lab at university? Oxbridge will be more concerned with whether you fit into what they look for in an ideal candidate (which we don't know) and that will ALWAYS trump grades earned, especially at GCSE.

While it's true you have to be a certain standard, stop doubting yourself and just apply. We don't work for Oxbridge, we can't tell you what's "good enough". Someone with 10A*s may be rejected to favour someone with 4. You just don't know.

And a lot changes between GCSE and A Level, for instance I was hospitalised right before my exams. Nothing predicts that, and your GCSE's can't always reflect this.

So stop wondering if you're good enough - you're wasting time! Focus on being a stronger candidate by doing work experience and reading around the subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyRoseD)
    Hi!

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello ☺️ well done on your GCSE results, they're amazing! I did exactly the same AS levels as you this year and I wouldn't recommend physics, you have to be motivated to learn as there is an aspect of self-learning involved so you really have to love the subject. I only managed a C in AS physics which I'm really disappointed with and I think most unis don't care which 4th subject you do as long as you manage to get a good grade 😁 good luck!xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.