The Student Room Group

Physics vs economics for a maths degree.

My path is set for a maths degree from a top uni and I will be focusing alot on maths and further maths when I start a-levels, so which one would be more beneficial and easier , I've heard that physics makes you more competitive because it's more *numbrey* than economics. Idk which one to pick .
Reply 1
Pick the one that you'll enjoy the most and the one that you think you'll get a better grade in.
Reply 2
I'd say do physics. If you smash maths and further maths then I don't think your third subject matters that much. As far as I'm aware economics at A level isn't very mathematical (it is at degree level if you're doing a Bsc) but the mechanics modules in maths become easier with physics apparently (not that I'd know as I didn't sit any this year).
Reply 3
Don't think it makes much difference to be honest so choose the one that you prefer. Although can't you just do Maths, FM, Physics and Eco as your four AS level choices? :s-smilie:
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Don't think it makes much difference to be honest so choose the one that you prefer. Although can't you just do Maths, FM, Physics and Eco as your four AS level choices? :s-smilie:

i'm talking about A-level , but yeah I am taking maths, further , economics and physics for AS :biggrin:. I just want to know which one is better to drop, but I guess I need to do em and see for myself.
Original post by ihatehannah
i'm talking about A-level , but yeah I am taking maths, further , economics and physics for AS :biggrin:. I just want to know which one is better to drop, but I guess I need to do em and see for myself.

Sorry when you said 'start a levels' I thought you meant AS! in which case as you have done both to AS, it really won't make any difference which you continue to A2 :smile:

Also, congrats on your results!
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Sorry when you said 'start a levels' I thought you meant AS! in which case as you have done both to AS, it really won't make any difference which you continue to A2 :smile:

Also, congrats on your results!

actually , I'm starting AS-levels but wondering which one to drop when I finish AS
Reply 8
Original post by ihatehannah
actually , I'm starting AS-levels but wondering which one to drop when I finish AS

You've still got quite a bit of time to decide, so see how your AS courses go. Your choices might well change as you're studying.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics to full A-Level and Chemistry to AS-Level.

At the outset I was set on the idea that I would drop Physics after AS-Level, but whilst I was studying I decided that I would rather drop Chemistry - didn't like it even though I got an A grade.

BTW my degree was Maths with Economics (2/3 maths and 1/3 economics).
There is no maths in A level economics, might be something to consider

Quick Reply

Latest