The Student Room Group

Do I really need Maths A Levels for Russel Group University's

I wish to study Computer science at Uni. Right now, my current A Level choices are Maths, Economics and Computer science. Though I'm considering replacing maths with a less difficult subject.

I just got my GCSE results, in which I achieved a B in maths (a couple marks off an A). I revised my arse off for that exam, so much so that I was achieving A's and A*'s in the mock/past papers. So I was a little surprised that I got a B in the exam.

The truth is that I hate Maths. This isn't my first maths GCSE exam, I obtained a C grade last year. Feeling detired about my poor grades for my future university entry, I decided to re-sit the exam again.

I've looked at a couple Russel Group Unis like Leeds, Nottingham and Kings College (which are my goals). The entry requirements for these Unis does not state anywhere that a maths A Level is required.

I'm sceptical about what this means. I'd like to know if anyone has experience in this matter, or can give advice on which route I can take.

Thanks
Computer science pretty much is maths. So if you hate maths I wouldn't do compsci at university. Perhaps look into IT?
Yes, most if not all Russell Group universities will require A level Maths.
Nottingham and King's College don't though.

Leeds Uni: A-level: AAA including Mathematics or Computing, excluding General Studies.

Nottingham: A levels: AAA (AAB if A levels include computing/computer science) Required subjects: GCSE maths grade B or above

King's College: Compulsory subjectsAt least one of: Mathematics, Computer Science, Electronics, Physics or Statistics. GCSE Maths grade B (or equivalent).
The funny thing about your situation is I'm in a very similar boat.
Retook my GCSE Maths, two years after I left school, revised my *** off and got a grade B.
I thought I would have done much better, after getting As and A*s in past papers, same as you.
The grade boundaries must have been very high.

I have finished a BTEC IT diploma, wouldn't recommend it though.
I only did it because I did poorly at school, messed around, not paying attention, nor caring...
It is worth 3x A* A levels, but only on paper, it's very easy to get.
However, I haven't been able to do A levels, and thus A level Maths which has severely limited my options for taking Computer Science at university.
I am starting my Computer Science degree at Sheffield Hallam in September because it only requires a grade B at GCSE Mathematics.
University of Sheffield would have been my favourite choice.

It's frustrating because I have been told, and looked at the course modules in that there isn't much relevance to A level Maths, or much GCSE Maths in CompSci.
I like Maths, dependent on the subject, which also dictates how well I will do.
I very much enjoy the Maths with CompSci as I do a lot of work with it outside of college/uni anyway, especially data structures.
So I think it's unfair to turn down applicants because of these grades, especially when they would like a second chance to prove themselves.

I highly recommend you stick with A Level Maths, try some extra lessons or other guidance because if you drop it, you will be severely limiting your options, don't make similar mistake as I did.

Original post by Jabberjay_
Computer science pretty much is maths. So if you hate maths I wouldn't do compsci at university. Perhaps look into IT?

Not really, it is heavily maths dependent but it is far from just Maths.
It goes into a lot of detail about specific maths subjects, such as algorithms and data structures, but that's because of how computers fundamentally work.
I know people who don't like Maths but still do Computer Science, and who are very good at it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jared44

Not really, it is heavily maths dependent but it is far from just Maths.
It goes into a lot of detail about specific maths subjects, such as algorithms and data structures, but that's because of how computers fundamentally work.
I know people who don't like Maths but still do Computer Science, and who are very good at it.

Therefore if you hate maths, computer science is not a good idea.
Programming Computer Science. Programming Maths. So it is possible to be a good programmer without maths, but don't don't confuse programming with computer science.
Original post by Jabberjay_
Therefore if you hate maths, computer science is not a good idea.
Programming Computer Science. Programming Maths. So it is possible to be a good programmer without maths, but don't don't confuse programming with computer science.

It's not the best idea, but it can still work.
I never said programming = computer science.
Not sure what you're getting at here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending