Turn on thread page Beta

Are these A-levels okay to pick for oxbridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like to study either chemistry at oxford or architecture at Cambridge. My plan was to choose chemistry, maths, history and fine art at a-level. Are these subjects good enough, particularly for chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Fine art seems a little out of place. Anything you could replace it with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glacelens)
    I would like to study either chemistry at oxford or architecture at Cambridge. My plan was to choose chemistry, maths, history and fine art at a-level. Are these subjects good enough, particularly for chemistry?
    Yes, but it's worth double checking with both departments by emailing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli T-H)
    Fine art seems a little out of place. Anything you could replace it with?
    Some Cambridge colleges require fine art

ReputationRep:
    For Architecture some Oxbridge colleges require/prefer Physics

ReputationRep:
    You could be a little more competitive with another science biology/physics, or even further maths, if your thinking of doing chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't fancy doing five a-levels so would it be better to do further maths instead of history?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't fancy doing five a-levels so would it be better to do further maths instead of history?
    You'd be better settling on Architecture OR Chem. They are, obviously, quite different and ideally need a different set of A-levels.

What about Engineering instead of Architecture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes FM is helpful for Sciences (and architecture).

Also, consider The Bartlett for Architecture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yes FM is helpful for Sciences (and architecture).

Also, consider The Bartlett for Architecture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quick learner.

ReputationRep:
    If you eventually decide to read Architecture, History is actually not a bad subject for it, though it's completely useless if you choose to read Chemistry. Further Maths is not that vital for Architecture (but it is if you're persuaded by jneill's suggestion for Engineering) = the reason many civil engineers hate architects for designing that completely ignores law of physics
    and maths

So yeah, you'll be better off if you make up your mind asap.
    Good luck!

EDIT: This is not a confirmed info at all, so please take this with a pinch of salt.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My daughter (recent graduate from Cambridge. Not Architecture, tho) heard a few wks ago from someone still at Cambridge that there has been a rumour that they're thinking of possible closure of Dept of Architecture there. They are very small department anyway and there was a few times in the past they were almost closed it (but didn't in the end), so it may be the repetition of same thing this time as well. However, all universities are trying to find a better way for financing/budgeting in recent years, so it's possible the closure may happen this time.
    Just keep an eye for any movement, and try to find an alternative to Cambridge Architecture in case that really happens.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Quick learner.
    I considered architecture many many many (many) years ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I considered architecture many many many (many) years ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, yes, I clearly forgotten you told me that.
    Now I can proof @C0balt I wasn't plugging the Bartlett for whatever the reason she might be thinking.

ReputationRep:
    xxxxx
    Forgot to ask.....
    Were they good in the olden days. too?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Forgot to ask.....
    Were they good in the olden days. too?
    I never got close back then. But was aware of the reputation more recently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.