Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get through to her? watch

Hi,

I have a twin sister who is the closest person to me. The past few months she's been withdrawn and depressed a lot of the time, and I just don't know what to do.

She has her own computer for gaming which she built herself last year, and ever since she got it all she does is play games, and I think it's really bad for her. My parents have always worried about her but tonight my mum was so upset she cried and told me how worried she was and I agreed...the biggest problem is that we're both going to uni this september and I'm terrified of what will happen when she is alone...

She doesn't seem to give a damn about her life. On the few occasions when we talk to eachother now, she often says how she doesnt see point to life and she doesn't want to live for very long. She doesn't like meeting/talking to other people because she says she messes up when she talks to them and she wouldn't like them anyway. I'm just really scared because we've had a suicide in the family before, I really think she is capable of doing it to herself. I wish I could help her but she shuts everyone out, hides her feelings...yes sometimes she confides in me but it's often hard to tell what she's thinking.

It never used to be like this. In fact she was more out there than me, willing to try new things, naturally good at a lot of stuff...then she dropped out of the private school we were at, she felt she didn't fit in, and went to a college instead. She didn't get her first choice uni, but I don't think that means anything when you don't have any self-belief.

I just wish I could get through to her, to help her understand that she is significant in this world. It's been a couple of years, and I miss her so much :'( Please, is there any advice anyone can give me? Any solutions for when she's left home? Are anti-depressants a good idea? Anything is appreciated!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    She needs to see a doctor. If she's dealing with depression and it's not being treated then stuff is just gonna keep getting harder.

Depression is treatable. It's a really hard thing to push through when your brain is effectively working against you. But it sounds like you and your family would be a good support for her whilst she's getting better. Try get her to see a doctor before uni starts and see where it goes from there.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a psychologist and not the student room

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Go to a psychologist and not the student room

Posted from TSR Mobile
    aren't those people expensive?

ReputationRep:
    50 an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Find out what games she is playing and delete her accounts. If this still does not work remove the computer from her room, deprive her of her addiction. Take her outside keep her mind off gaming and being depressed. Help her find a boyfriend. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Try and get her to go to her GP and explain what's going on, don't keep going on about it though as you're at risk of just alienating her. Ultimately the doctor is by far the best way to get help, it's hard to go though. Other than that probably the most important thing is to make sure she knows she can talk to you and you're there for her, try and encourage her to do things with you sometimes and, if she won't talk to you or she is suicidal, suggest calling or emailing the samaritans too. It's really hard for both of you but hopefully in time she'll be able to get some help and things will become a bit easier again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shueb95)
    Find out what games she is playing and delete her accounts. If this still does not work remove the computer from her room, deprive her of her addiction. Take her outside keep her mind off gaming and being depressed. Help her find a boyfriend. Good luck!
    Stupidest reply goes to.......!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shueb95)
    OP, do not follow this advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Stupidest reply goes to.......!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    OP, do not follow this advice.

Oh god. I pretty much posted without reading the whole thread. Yeah completely ignore my advise and get her a psychologist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.