The Student Room Group

A level study help.

So I'm staring my alevels and I'm really nervous because I really want to be a doctor so I can't retake anything so I need to work hard these 2 years and also I don't know how to study and stay on top of things because I'm so disorganised. I got 11 Bs at GCSEs which is disappointing because I was predicted As and A*s. I really need all As by the end of a level minimal.

So how should I revise and study and just any advise that will be helpful would be amazing.
Reply 1
Consistency is key, make sure you spend regular time weekly on each subject and when it comes to exams, you need to revise like there is nothing else in the world. Also you should be aiming for the 90% UMS mark, especially in chemistry as that is what medical schools will be looking for in successful applicants. Past papers are obviously a must, but with biology make sure you focus also on content; you will feel like you are cramming all the time for biology and you will just have to get used to that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also haven't started a levels yet, but tips that have been given to me include using your free periods wisely! Obviously it's important to have down-time but these extra hours can apparently really help giving you a head start with revision. Also people (including teachers) have stressed about how important it is to get enough sleep. It may be tempting to pull an all nighter to revise, but that is useless if you can't take in any new information the next day!

I know my tips are just common sense, but I reckon they are easy to forget and ignore in the rush and stress of exams (I know I did during GCSEs!). Anyway good luck next year- what subjects are you taking?
Reply 3
These tips worked quite well for me (I didn't do chemistry but it's still applicable):

Always aim towards achieving 100% / Full UMS

Make sure that you have no gaps in your knowledge, learn the entire syllabus to avoid any shocks in the exam

Complete every single past paper, grade it & re-do it at a later date if you achieve less than 80/90%
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by elena2710
I also haven't started a levels yet, but tips that have been given to me include using your free periods wisely! Obviously it's important to have down-time but these extra hours can apparently really help giving you a head start with revision. Also people (including teachers) have stressed about how important it is to get enough sleep. It may be tempting to pull an all nighter to revise, but that is useless if you can't take in any new information the next day!

I know my tips are just common sense, but I reckon they are easy to forget and ignore in the rush and stress of exams (I know I did during GCSEs!). Anyway good luck next year- what subjects are you taking?

I take Chemistry Maths and Economics,
Last year I spent every single free period in the library, it definitely helps because not only does it give you more time but it puts you in the right mind frame to work. I've only done a couple of all nighters revising, and have concluded its probably better to go to sleep and wake up early to do so, unless it's for coursework, in which case I think it may be more productive to do it all in one night when you are pushed for time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending