Can you get into a good university e.g. Oxford, Cambridge with poor GCSE results Watch

Shadow Killer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i got a C for English language GCSE and Biology, but if i get B/A/A* for Chemistry, Physics, Maths, can i get into Cambridge?
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I doubt Oxbridge will be an option if I'm honest.

When you have all your results and GCSEs, you can post again. There is always hope however.

It's just the C in English Language is a bit low, normally a B is seen as the accepted grade for top courses.
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
I was a few marks away from a B and i tried my best but it was too hard, especially with our teacher who barely helped us and confused us more. I don't want that to be the reason that i do not get into the uni and career which i deserve.
Joshua-P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as I know, Oxford look more at GCSE than Cambridge, but your A Levels are what matter the most. Try and get straight A* at A Level to impress them in order to make up for poor GCSE.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shadow Killer)
i got a C for English language GCSE and Biology, but if i get B/A/A* for Chemistry, Physics, Maths, can i get into Cambridge?
I agree with Fish to some extent. To be honest, if you're getting Cs in subjects like English Language (and particularly Biology if you're interested in a Science course) it does seem unlikely that you will do well enough at A-Level to get in.

However, it is not impossible. I am going in October to study a Humanities subject, but only achieved a C in GCSE maths, alongside a set of generally poor GCSE results. There is still a chance, but the harsh reality is that GCSEs are a good indicator of A-Level achievement and your chances seem relatively low at this point.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
I will try my best, thanks
Banana00
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was a few marks away from a B and i tried my best but it was too hard, especially with our teacher who barely helped us and confused us more. I don't want that to be the reason that i do not get into the uni and career which i deserve.
It all really depends; if you got A*s and As for your other subjects, you may still have a reasonable chance. The type of school you go to will also make a difference; getting excellent grades is expected from the very top schools, however if your school isn't that great (I don't mean to be rude at all) then slightly lower grades will still look good because you will have done very well in comparison to most people at your school, if that makes any sense to you.

I wish you luck though and hope you do well enough in your A Levels to end up in the right place for you
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
i am from a normal secondary school
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
Hate to burst your bubble but nobody 'deserves' to be at Cambridge - it has to be earned. And the unfortunate reality is that grades are still used as the measure of academic ability, which is prized first and foremost at universities like Oxford and Cambridge.

By all means resit the exam in November if you think you could've done better but don't try to shift the blame onto your teacher. :/
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
i didn't mean deserve like that, i meant it like for all the hard work i put in should be given a chance , that's all i meant
Itsmonique
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
A guy who attended in my school mainly got B's, C's some A*/A grades at GCSE, went on to achieve A*/A for a level in 2010. He studied natural sciences
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Itsmonique)
Spoiler:
Show
A guy who attended in my school mainly got B's, C's some A*/A grades at GCSE, went on to achieve A*/A for a level in 2010. He studied natural sciences
what uni did he go
Itsmonique
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what uni did he go
Cambridge
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Itsmonique)
Cambridge
AWESOME- I wanted to do a med course too!!!
Laurenafenete
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest you will find out very quickly that GCSEs dont really matter in the grand scale of things. Its your A levels that will decide if you go to a decent uni or not. Oxbridge is not the be all end all. There are other really good universities out there, like the unis in the Russell group, that are just as good as oxbridge.
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurenafenete)
To be honest you will find out very quickly that GCSEs dont really matter in the grand scale of things. Its your A levels that will decide if you go to a decent uni or not. Oxbridge is not the be all end all. There are other really good universities out there, like the unis in the Russell group, that are just as good as oxbridge.
I know Imperial college and UCL are good too, but which other unis are good for medicine?- near london would be best
Joshua-P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not just resit the English Language and Biology since you're only in Y10 (11 in Sep)?
Shadow Killer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joshua-P)
Why not just resit the English Language and Biology since you're only in Y10 (11 in Sep)?
I am moving up to year 11 soon, but my school doesn't allow retakes unless you get a D
redwhiteandbrit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know Imperial college and UCL are good too, but which other unis are good for medicine?- near london would be best
Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laurenafenete
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Queen Mary
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (52)
67.53%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
20.78%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.69%

Watched Threads