The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi Caitlin, does the department that you apply for have any bearing on when the university will get back to you? Are there any particular departments which are later than others is what I guess I'm driving at here?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 321
Original post by niamhscarlett
Yeah, I received an offer for psychology on the 15th :smile:

Congrats! I have also applied for psychology, was wondering if you got an unconditional and if so, what your grades are?? thanks!
Original post by careyboyle
I've applied but I've got a question about the course structure. Both courses I've applied for are 4 years; is the first year the equivalent to a foundation year?

The old Scottish universities have 4 year MAs intead of three year BAs. The first year is probably the most general of the whole degree but it's not a foundation, no.
Original post by LOTRfan
Hi Caitlin, does the department that you apply for have any bearing on when the university will get back to you? Are there any particular departments which are later than others is what I guess I'm driving at here?

Hi,

There are no departments which are notoriously slow at giving out offers.

I had no idea when the physics department was going to get back to me although I also know they didn't reply to everyone at the same time. It really depends on the number of applicants the department have - for physics last year there were over 1000 for around 100 places and I know it took the admissions team quite a while to read through personal statements.

For UK applicants I wouldn't expect an offer before the UCAS deadline - after that, it's up to each department to send out offers.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 324
Hey guys!

Anyone received offers for Economics and International Relations ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for the joint honours English and Comparative Literature and English! Did you hear back yet?
Reply 326
Anything yet 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tyraelis
Has anyone gotten an offer from the Biology department? I know they select students by departments, and I haven't heard anything. Maybe the bio department waits a while? Anxious!

I got an unconditional offer around the 11th of December for Biochemistry. Have you heard anything since? What Bio Sciences course did you apply for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by muchensmile
So...anyone recently received interviews for medicine? I haven't heard from St Andrews at all...

One of my friends has. However 3 others at my school haven't. I wouldn't worry too much. They seem to be taking a little while. I only know 2 other people with offers despite nearly all of my friends applying there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 329
does anyone know what time they send out the letters of admission for students in the United States? I'm wondering If I'll get an email at like 2 am ? May sound a bit ridiculous but I'm curious and would really appreciate any insight.
Reply 330
Original post by ladymarchmain
I applied for the joint honours English and Comparative Literature and English! Did you hear back yet?

I did too and I haven't heard back yet. Good luck!!
Reply 331
Original post by Ibac
Hey guys!

Anyone received offers for Economics and International Relations ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Ibac :smile:

I applied for the same course, no answer yet :frown:
Hi I applied to MMath (fast track)

I know some people have heard back for mathematics but has anyone from the UK heard back about the fast track. I don't know if the application process is slightly different so takes longer? But I'm really stressing out here as St Andrews is my dream university, so it would be great if you let me know :smile:
Original post by AzizanW
Just got an offer for Maths (Fast Track) AAA. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are an international student or UK if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by charliemaths1207
Hi I applied to MMath (fast track)

I know some people have heard back for mathematics but has anyone from the UK heard back about the fast track. I don't know if the application process is slightly different so takes longer? But I'm really stressing out here as St Andrews is my dream university, so it would be great if you let me know :smile:

Hi Charlie,

You really don't have to worry. The majority of offers will be made after the UCAS deadline. I know it is frustrating (St Andrews was my top choice last year, and the last to give me an offer) but you will hear from them soon so don't panic over other people who have been given offers.

As I mentioned before, I know many people who were given offers for the same course as me quite a while later than I.

As an additional note, I entered directly into second year physics and hence second year maths, it's not the same as fast track but if you have any questions regarding anything I experienced during my first semester with the level 2 modules I took then do let me know.

Good luck! Hope to see you in September. :smile:
Original post by ladymarchmain

I'm so glad to find someone who has applied for the exact same courses as me! I haven't heard anything back as of yet apart from my acknowledgement email which I received after I sent my application away, it's driving me mad!

Are you a UK student?
Another thing, how do I find out the typical acceptance rate for my course? (As in applicants versus accepted if that makes sense)
Another thing, how do I find out the typical acceptance rate for my course? (As in applicants versus accepted if that makes sense)

I second this. :tongue:

Original post by XcitingStuart
I second this. :tongue:

WhatUni often give acceptance rates for individual courses: such as English and Comp Lit

I don't know exactly how accurate they are - the figure generally given by the university is an average of 12 applications per place, rising to 20 for very popular subjects like economics and international relations.
Thanks! :smile: I was wondering is it much harder going in on second year I know the fast track is a combination of first and second year but is it a lot of extra work? Also what is the social side like because you are joining a class that has already been together a year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending