Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to revise for the UKCAT but for the life of me I just don't get most of it...especially the abstract reasoning with all the shapes and stuff! Every time I think I'm onto something or I've firgured out the connection it's wrong

Does anyone have any advice on both getting through UKCAT but especially how to master abstract thinking questions, because, well, otherwise I'm stuffed!!

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    What resources are you using (books, online stuff)? For abstract I used pretty much only medify and got 900 so its a place to start if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indhar98)
    I've been trying to revise for the UKCAT but for the life of me I just don't get most of it...especially the abstract reasoning with all the shapes and stuff! Every time I think I'm onto something or I've firgured out the connection it's wrong

Does anyone have any advice on both getting through UKCAT but especially how to master abstract thinking questions, because, well, otherwise I'm stuffed!!

Thanks!!
    Hi it's a pleasure to help. First of all remember the ukcat is meant to challenge even the most able of students and so don't worry if you find it a little tricky.
    I absolutely hated the Abstract reasoning at first but I went through all the medify practice questions and soon it became my favorite section. The ukcat is all about having a strategy and then implementing it under timed conditions. For AR what I do is look for the following in a set of shapes. Use NSPCA

N -- Number
    S -- Shape
    P -- Position
    C -- Color
    A -- Angle

If you can train your mind to quickly analyse shapes for those things listed above and practice doing it under timed conditions then AR will be a breeze for you.

As for QR Medify is amazing. It represents perfectly the type and difficulty of the questions in the real thing. The 600q is tooo hard and unrealistic.

I found the Kaplan book off Amazon a bit useful and I also bought a software called emedica which helped a bit with AR/DA, although those two are my weaker sections.

Just ask if you need any other advice.
    Best of luck with the ukcat

ReputationRep:
    I've been using the 600 questions book mainly o far, and a few practice websites, but I've hear that medify if really good so I'm thinking of getting a subscription to it a few weeks before my exam in October Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.