Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So I am contemplating whether to take HL chemistry or HL psychology. Im already taking HL bio in IB.
    my first question is;

Which is harder HL psych or Chem? and what is the course like?

Second, if i were to take Chem and Bio HL what would my options for university be?

Thank you c:

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry goes well with biology as they have a lot of overlap at times. The questions you should ask yourself are:

1. Which do you prefer/are better at?
    2. Which one will give you better prospects in your desired career? (If you don't know exactly which one opens more doors?

Both chemistry and psychology have a fair amount of mathematics -although psychology is more statistical mathematics. Psychology also has a heavy emphasis on case studies and is a very popular field of study -but popular means more competitive for the small number of jobs to high numbers of unemployed psychologists looking for jobs.

Chemistry is probably a little bit harder in terms of the material and quantity of stuff to learn but it will open a lot more doors for you in the future. Chemistry is hard so people and employers will respect anyone with a good chemistry grade.

I would recommend chemistry. If you ever decided you wanted to study for a career in psychology you can get into university without the HL or prior learning but you cannot say the same for chemistry/engineering/medicine if you don't do chemistry.

Have you called up a university admissions advisor and asked them about what they would look for? There is no harm in starting looking early and asking questions now will save you the disappointment later if you study the wrong thing.

Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2015

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.