Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We have a website which is hosted and we've been using HostGator for quite a long time. The latest renewal invoice is for a period of 3 years at a price of $4.95 a month (+VAT).

I spoke to their support team and they said they can't offer coupon discount (as it only applies to new customers) but I'll call their sales team on Monday to see if they can do something.

In the mean time, is $4.95 a month expensive?

DreamHost + LunarPages both seem to be $8.95 a month but are there any other cheap ones I'm missing?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Digital Ocean, provided that what they offer is what you are looking for - you get to take control of your own VPS - which could be a learning curve if you've not used one before. There are great tutorials on their website for many things though, and you get complete flexibility to set up your server how you want to. You can also pay by the hour, so if you want to have a separate server for testing it's very god value, and because it's a VPS, you can set up a test webserver without a virtualhost so you can test with just a server IP address.

On the other hand, if you'd rather have simple web hosting with much of the technical stuff taken care of, you'll probably find that most companies charge roughly the same - but do some searching on the internet for 'best web hosting' and read some articles comparing different companies. Try to find a company with the features you need that several people recommend.

ReputationRep:
    SiteGround are excellent. I've been using them for years.

You can currently use a voucher code to get 60% off their smallest package which leaves it at £2.75 per month + VAT.

At that price, considering the service and options available, you'd be foolish not to go with them.

ReputationRep:
    When asking yourself the question is $4.95 a month expensive ask yourself what you would do for $4.95

No it's not expensive it's basic entry level hosting where you share a server with hundreds or even thousands of other websites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    In the mean time, is $4.95 a month expensive?
    That is a rather subjective question. It is a bit like asking a Bugatti Veyron owner if he thinks his car is expensive.

Can you afford it and does it offer the service you require? If the answer is yes, then no, it is not expensive. After all, it is £3 a month! Less than a McDonalds.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    That is a rather subjective question. It is a bit like asking a Bugatti Veyron owner if he thinks his car is expensive.

Can you afford it and does it offer the service you require? If the answer is yes, then no, it is not expensive. After all, it is £3 a month! Less than a McDonalds.

Good luck!
    What's the value of such a pointless answer to a thread which is 3 months old?

It's not a subjective question but a relative question by wanting comparisons for like-for-like from other providers who offer the same services.

Even if I can afford to pay $100 a month, it doesn't mean there can't be cheaper providers out there who will fulfill my requirements.

ReputationRep:
    TSO Host is the best I've seen. Prices as low as £1.25 p/m.

Be wary though, I wanted to host a Django website with them and was unable to.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.