86% at AS level- my chances of an A*? Watch

HenryKenry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey I got 86% at AS level for Biology, is that a low A? What are my chances of an A* with out any retakes, of course you dont know me in person but have you heard of people achieving this in a similar situation to me?

Thank you :-)
sarahiscool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a B in AS biology and an A* at A2 with no resits. The A* has nothing to do with AS if you have atleast a B at AS (although you tend to do better in A2 if you did well at AS). I can't say how likely an A* is for you as I don't personally know you but definitely only take resists if you are worried about getting a B overall due to A2 being a nightmare.
TheRavenclaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As I understand it, the conditions for an A* are
  • 80% overall
  • 90%< in the second year

Therefore as long as you get 90% or above at A2 you will get the A*. Obviously the likelihood of that depends on the person, but you should be fine
HenryKenry
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarahiscool)
I got a B in AS biology and an A* at A2 with no resits. The A* has nothing to do with AS if you have atleast a B at AS (although you tend to do better in A2 if you did well at AS). I can't say how likely an A* is for you as I don't personally know you but definitely only take resists if you are worried about getting a B overall due to A2 being a nightmare.
Wow!!! That's amazing. What was your AS and A2 percentage?
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you have a reasonable chance. You just need to get 90% at A2. I got 84% at AS biology and 90% at A2, A*
FKA Stiglitz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You would need the same amount of UMS marks as someone who got 100% for an A* (90% across A2 modules).
You don't need to resit, your chances are good.

For an A* at A Level you need at least an 80% average across all your A Level modules, and 90% in your A2 modules, so really someone with a C could still, mathematically, get an A*.
Just work hard next year to get 90%, well done for that A btw.
HenryKenry
Rep:
?
(Original post by FKA Stiglitz)
You would need the same amount of UMS marks as someone who got 100% for an A* (90% across A2 modules).

For an A* at A Level you need at least an 80% average across all your A Level modules, and 90% in your A2 modules, so really someone with a C could still, mathematically, get an A*.
Very helpful, thank you!! :-)
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah like people are saying you need 80% overall and only 90 in A2.
SO if you got 70% at AS (scraping a B) and 90% in all A2 units you would get an A* overall.
As you got 80% overall and 90% in c3 and c4.

Even if you get a C at AS you can get an A* with no resits but thats risky.
HenryKenry
Rep:
?
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
Yeah like people are saying you need 80% overall and only 90 in A2.
SO if you got 70% at AS (scraping a B) and 90% in all A2 units you would get an A* overall.
As you got 80% overall and 90% in c3 and c4.

Even if you get a C at AS you can get an A* with no resits but thats risky.
Hey, so if its 80% overall at AS im safe? because in one unit I got 70% which was still an A but overall it was over 80%
sarahiscool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HenryKenry)
Wow!!! That's amazing. What was your AS and A2 percentage?
78% at AS and 90% at A2

Just make sure you do well on the controlled assessment if you have one, grade boundaries are ridiculously high and mine nearly stopped me from getting the A* (I had an average of 93/94 in the two papers)
HenryKenry
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarahiscool)
78% at AS and 90% at A2

Just make sure you do well on the controlled assessment if you have one, grade boundaries are ridiculously high and mine nearly stopped me from getting the A* (I had an average of 93/94 in the two papers)
Yh I just checked and for the CA its like 38/40 :/ Im assuming you did OCR? I have a feeling im going to struggle with the CA because apparently we have to draw out microscope observations, which we did as a practice and I was just rubbish!
SubwayLover1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FKA Stiglitz)

Hello,

I got 4 A's at AS and I was wondering if a prediciton of 2 A*s and an A is realistic ? I got 92 % In chem , 88 % in Bio and 86% in geography.

Thanks
FKA Stiglitz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SubwayLover1)
Hello,

I got 4 A's at AS and I was wondering if a prediciton of 2 A*s and an A is realistic ? I got 92 % In chem , 88 % in Bio and 86% in geography.

Thanks
Yeah, that seems realistic.
At my school I was predicted A*A*A* in Economics, English Lit and Maths and I had 94% in Maths, 87% in English Lit and 84% in Economics, and stupidly I asked them to put English down to an A.
If your teachers think highly enough of you they'll give you at least 2 A*s for predictions, and you can always talk to them about it as well and discuss predictions and ways to get that A* that you want.

Great results btw! (sorry for the late-ish reply)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?