Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So this is probably a boring long winded question but I would really appreciate any advice

This will be my situation going into uni starting 2016:

-25 yo
    -Moving to live at Uni
    -Access course completed 2015-2016
    -Working part time earning around £160 pw during that year
    -Have lived independently from parents over 3 years BUT rented with a friend (not partner) for all this time.
    -No dependants

I'm a little confused about household income when using the SF calculator. Do I need to include the income of the friend I live with? This seems silly if so as obviously our earnings will be totally separate and he earns a decent amount working full time.

Also is my income just the year I've been doing the access course?

One more thing. I understand that most students move back home in the holidays which I would probably be able to do via parents spare room but if not am I eligible for any further assistance due to having no address or would I need to find a way of paying to stay at Uni out of the normal loan?

Many many thanks and sorry if this should be in a finance forum but couldn't decide between there or mature students.

ReputationRep:
    Calculate it just on your earnings. Your housemates income is irrelevant as they are not financially supporting you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At 25 you will automatically be considered independent from your parents. If you're going into full-time uni study, you will automatically qualify for the maximum Maintenance Loan - SF's assumption is that you will have zero income, so use that for the calculator (unless you have other forms of income such as interest on savings, rent from properties, dividends for investments etc). You do not need to enter your housemate's income.

You SF is calculated to give you financial help through the summer holidays at the end of your first and second years. There is no additional money - your outgoings are not taken into account when your entitlement is calculated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimJimJim)
    One more thing. I understand that most students move back home in the holidays which I would probably be able to do via parents spare room but if not am I eligible for any further assistance due to having no address or would I need to find a way of paying to stay at Uni out of the normal loan?
    The good news is that since you'll be >= 25 at uni, you're classed as an independent student. So that means whether you live with family (or whoever) 365 days a year and pay little or no rent, or if you live in your own place all year round, or anything in between, you're still entitled to the same level of financial support from SFE.

The bad news is that since you'll be >= 25 while at uni, you probably don't want to go "home" during the holidays to live. You might want to go visit your family for short periods, but if you're used to your own place, you're not really going to want to give that up for the 20 weeks' holiday per year or whatever it is you get from uni. Assuming I'm correct in this regard, you're going to need accommodation for the full 52 weeks per year (or near enough), and you'll have to pay for that out of whatever you get from SFE + your own sources of income. The only people who get any extra from the govt are those with dependents or those on income support/disability payments, AFAIK.

It's well worth checking out if you're likely to be eligible for any bursaries or scholarships at your prospective unis. Scholarships tend to be merit-based (usually academic merit, but sometimes musical or sporting merit), whereas bursaries tend to be either universal (everyone gets them) or are needs-based.

As far as income goes, I think you can just put whatever you'd be earning during your first year at uni down for your first SFE application (I just put zero). You might not know yet what paid work (if any) you'll have during that time, but I think you can just let them know if your situation changes.

The other thing is apply to SFE using your current address while you're still living in it. Just change it to your new address when you're settled into it. It won't affect how much you're awarded unless the address you're moving from or to is in London.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much guys. Very informative! All seems clear now.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.