Turn on thread page Beta

I'm really confused about this, I didn't want to jump to labelling myself too quickly because to be quite frank I have minimal experience. I'm still a virgin and have rarely kissed anyone purely because I've awkwardly tried to avoid it, when I did eventually kiss someone I found it pretty disgusting but that might have just been a bad experience.I'm unsure whether I'm asexual because I rarely find people attractive, i've only ever felt a strong sense of attraction famous people that I don't know and this is obviously very unrealistic and in my personal life it's hardly ever. I'm not sure whether that's just because I have really high standards though or maybe I haven't met the right person. This sounds pretty weird but I'm interested in the idea of sex but not involving me, if that makes sense?I'm not really sure whether to label myself because I don't have a full understanding of what asexuality is. I've always thought in simplistic terms that a person who is asexual has no sexual attraction at all and if thats the case I don't think I would be but like I said I don't full understanding? I'd appreciate helpful comments

ReputationRep:
    I would say you are asexual buti dont wanna say you are fully asexual coz i dont know you well. but the reason i say you are is because ive dated an asexual girl for 2 years who found me attractive but wasn that in to sex or sexual stuff. we ended up not having sex for 2 years and i was fine with it coz i respected her, anyway the things you say like thinking about sex which doesnt involve you or finding kissing not appealing is all her. but again this is me comparing you to someone i know pretty well and i have no idea how you are or who you are. hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm really confused about this, I didn't want to jump to labelling myself too quickly because to be quite frank I have minimal experience. I'm still a virgin and have rarely kissed anyone purely because I've awkwardly tried to avoid it, when I did eventually kiss someone I found it pretty disgusting but that might have just been a bad experience.I'm unsure whether I'm asexual because I rarely find people attractive, i've only ever felt a strong sense of attraction famous people that I don't know and this is obviously very unrealistic and in my personal life it's hardly ever. I'm not sure whether that's just because I have really high standards though or maybe I haven't met the right person. This sounds pretty weird but I'm interested in the idea of sex but not involving me, if that makes sense?I'm not really sure whether to label myself because I don't have a full understanding of what asexuality is. I've always thought in simplistic terms that a person who is asexual has no sexual attraction at all and if thats the case I don't think I would be but like I said I don't full understanding? I'd appreciate helpful comments
    An asexual is a person who doesn't feel sexual attraction and/or has little to no interest in having sex. If you like the idea of sex then you're likely not asexual because asexuals typically don't want to have sex. It's quite a complicated sexuality because asexuals are all different.

Your attitudes towards physical attraction or kissing etc has no baring on asexuality and are separate issues. I say this because asexuality only pertains to sexual desire so asexuals can enjoy physical contact or hate it. You can feel physical attraction but if you at all at one point ever felt sexually attracted to a person or actually wanted sex then you're not an asexual.

(Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou)
    An asexual is a person who doesn't feel sexual attraction and/or has little to no interest in having sex. If you like the idea of sex then you're likely not asexual because asexuals typically don't want to have sex. It's quite a complicated sexuality because asexuals are all different.

Your attitudes towards physical attraction or kissing etc has no baring on asexuality and are separate issues. I say this because asexuality only pertains to sexual desire so asexuals can enjoy physical contact or hate it. You can feel physical attraction but if you at all at one point ever felt sexually attracted to a person or actually wanted sex then you're not an asexual.
    I realise my mistake, thanks.
    And to answer your point, I don't actually know what sexual attraction is and I don't know if I've ever felt it. However I have wanted to try sex just for the experience but there's no one I've known where I've seriously wanted to have sex with, at most it's just a fleeting thought

(Original post by Solair)
    I would say you are asexual buti dont wanna say you are fully asexual coz i dont know you well. but the reason i say you are is because ive dated an asexual girl for 2 years who found me attractive but wasn that in to sex or sexual stuff. we ended up not having sex for 2 years and i was fine with it coz i respected her, anyway the things you say like thinking about sex which doesnt involve you or finding kissing not appealing is all her. but again this is me comparing you to someone i know pretty well and i have no idea how you are or who you are. hope this helps!
    Thanks for your response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I realise my mistake, thanks.
    And to answer your point, I don't actually know what sexual attraction is and I don't know if I've ever felt it. However I have wanted to try sex just for the experience but there's no one I've known where I've seriously wanted to have sex with, at most it's just a fleeting thought
    Well don't try to force the feeling. When I realized I was asexual it felt like something clicked in my mind, that I finally discovered my place. I've had sex once for the sake of wanting to try it and as for what sexual attraction is it's when you see someone or get to know someone you have that desire to want to have sex with them or engage in sexual activities.

I can't tell you if you are asexual or not - no-one can and it isn't their place or right to tell other what they are. All you can do is learn what you can and decide on your own. Either way, don't be ashamed of who you are.

(Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou)
    Well don't try to force the feeling. When I realized I was asexual it felt like something clicked in my mind, that I finally discovered my place. I've had sex once for the sake of wanting to try it and as for what sexual attraction is it's when you see someone or get to know someone you have that desire to want to have sex with them or engage in sexual activities.

I can't tell you if you are asexual or not - no-one can and it isn't their place or right to tell other what they are. All you can do is learn what you can and decide on your own. Either way, don't be ashamed of who you are.
    It's really something that I can indentify with in most regards, the term 'autochorissexual' is something that describes me to a T but I guess you don't have to be asexual to be indentify as that I guess and yeah I think you're right, it's down to me to decide if it's what I am.

Thanks for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.