x Turn on thread page Beta

Why does ice float on water ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is ice less dense than water ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    Why is ice less dense than water ? :confused:
    As water cools it vibrates less so more hydrogen bonds can be formed. These will push the molecules into a open lattice stucture which is less dense

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why does water expand when frozen? I thought it loses energy, therefore less movement and so it's more compact.

These will push the molecules into a open lattice stucture which is less dense
    Or is that the answer?

-=X=-

ReputationRep:
    ummm i thought i said that.. but maybe not clear. the H bonds will push the molecules apart

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I quoted it because I thought that bit might apply to my question as well as the one about density. Thanks

-=X=-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydream)
    ummm i thought i said that.. but maybe not clear. the H bonds will push the molecules apart
    yeah your right, after as water cools down, more hydrogen bonds are formed, and this forms an lattice, in which the water molecules are further apart than in a liquid. hence, ice is less dense than water, since density is the amount per size.

ReputationRep:
    As water turns to ice, the water molecules arent in liquid state anymore so they dont slide over each other anymore and vibrate a lot less. The molecules themselves rearrange themselves into a tetrahedral open lattice structure, rather like diamond. To do this, the molecules need to push themselves apart to form more hydrogen bonds. There are less hydrogen bonds in liquid water because the molecules are constantly moving.

ReputationRep:
    try my best.....

As we know that ice is a solid, and the molecules are in fixed positions, and are unable to move freely, they form a maximum of 2 hydrogen bonds between molecules ( just try to draw out ice,.. i won't go into that) and the h bonds hold the molecules together. As a result the volume of solid water ( ice) increases because of the maximum formation of 2 bonds for a fixed mass of water. As density is mass per volume, volume is inversely proportional to density and ice has a lower density than water because it occupies a bigger volume. Understand?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The answer: because . Ahh...just had to say that.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.