Turn on thread page Beta

Can I go into Investment Banking Without A-Level Maths. watch

ReputationRep:
    I chose Eco+History+Politics+Business Do I really need maths ?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    You don't need maths.
    Which degree could i take which could lead me into doing investment banking ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER)
    Which degree could i take which could lead me into doing investment banking ?
    Any degree. Try to go to a target uni; oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Without Maths Right ?

ReputationRep:
    Without Maths Right ?
    Yeah, any degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Yeah, any degree.
    So it doesnt matter what degree you take you can still end up being an investment banker

ReputationRep:
    So it doesnt matter what degree you take you can still end up being an investment banker
    Yes as I've repeatedly told you. A common trait you'll find in bankers is they're very sharp. You're as blunt as they come so I don't think IB is for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Yes as I've repeatedly told you. A common trait you'll find in bankers is they're very sharp. You're as blunt as they come so I don't think IB is for you.
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    You'll find a lot of people in IB have done numerate degrees such as maths/economics etc. the reason for this is, is because people doing numerate degrees are more likely to have the traits IB employers are looking for e.g. problem solving skills etc. this is not to say they won't accept someone who hasn't done a numerate degree, but in order to give yourself the best chance, and likelihood that you hasve the skills they are looking for I would recommend you to take a level maths. you'll actually find quite a few employers such as pwc now actually ask for a level maths for their accountancy programmes etc and I personally think its such a useful one to do in order to not limit your career choices.

as a result I would recommend swapping either business/politics for a level maths, as both business/politics aren't 'typical traditional' subjects, therefore I would suggest just doing one and picking up a level maths. that way you will increase your chances of going to a good RG university and getting in to IB

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    The majority of them do. Why do you want to be an investment banker? Also why don't you do A level maths? To me it seems like you're not doing it because your not good enough and you just want to be an investment banker for the money... For starters drop either politics or business and do another facilitating subject, preferably a science if you're not doing maths. You only have one core option there in history which Is very good, but IB is extremely competetive and you need better subjects than those.

My advice is if yoh don't take maths you need to completely change at least two of your A levels and at least do a very well respected degree or your application is going straight in the bin.
    best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    He can apply. But whether he will get in is another matter especially with the competition. I think he should keep his chances up and do a numerate subject.

(Original post by vela1)
    Yeah, any degree.
    See above.

If they choose you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    You'll find a lot of people in IB have done numerate degrees such as maths/economics etc. the reason for this is, is because people doing numerate degrees are more likely to have the traits IB employers are looking for e.g. problem solving skills etc. this is not to say they won't accept someone who hasn't done a numerate degree, but in order to give yourself the best chance, and likelihood that you hasve the skills they are looking for I would recommend you to take a level maths. you'll actually find quite a few employers such as pwc now actually ask for a level maths for their accountancy programmes etc and I personally think its such a useful one to do in order to not limit your career choices.

as a result I would recommend swapping either business/politics for a level maths, as both business/politics aren't 'typical traditional' subjects, therefore I would suggest just doing one and picking up a level maths. that way you will increase your chances of going to a good RG university and getting in to IB

Best of luck
    Thanks So much for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    The majority of them do. Why do you want to be an investment banker? Also why don't you do A level maths? To me it seems like you're not doing it because your not good enough and you just want to be an investment banker for the money... For starters drop either politics or business and do another facilitating subject, preferably a science if you're not doing maths. You only have one core option there in history which Is very good, but IB is extremely competetive and you need better subjects than those.

My advice is if yoh don't take maths you need to completely change at least two of your A levels and at least do a very well respected degree or your application is going straight in the bin.
    best of luck!
    Thanks, I received an A for maths at GCSE but many people I know have failed and I didnt want to take that risk but now im considering of doing maths because everyone has their own abilities and have their weaknesses and strenghts and I shoudldnt compare myself with others, but i will choose Maths,Eco,History,Politics

Thanks For The Info and Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    first 8 posts of this thread are gold, ending with this perfect response

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I received an A for maths at GCSE but many people I know have failed and I didnt want to take that risk but now im considering of doing maths because everyone has their own abilities and have their weaknesses and strenghts and I shoudldnt compare myself with others, but i will choose Maths,Eco,History,Politics

Thanks For The Info and Help
    Good choice of subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)

best of luck!
    Only one core subject? So you saying economics is not one of them. Lmfao some people make me laugh on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)

Any degree? I don't think so

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I suggest you do A-Level maths because firstly, the best routes into IB are through a degree in Maths, Eco or an Engineering degree. To do all of these degree's you HAVE TO have done Maths A Level otherwise securing a place on these degree's will be hard. Yes, even for Eco Maths is required. Also, your taking Eco & Business Studies? They both are very similar A-Levels and I don't think uni's would prefer this. Yes Eco is more respected than BS but it really depends on you as a person. Eco is very hard compared to Business Studies. I chose Eco thinking it would have a lot of Maths, but it did not really. I did not enjoy the subject as well. Think carefully between Bus and Eco, do a LOT of research. Don't choose Eco because it is respected etc. If you enjoy the subject you are likely to do well.
    Also I've noticed Uni's get irritated when students choose subjects based around the subject too much which you have done. They like at least 1 subject that is unique. Try switching either His or G&P for something else like Socio or English Lit (this can help you with your essay skills in Hist & Eco) ?
    I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Only one core subject? So you saying economics is not one of them. Lmfao some people make me laugh on here
    having Eco is not a core requirement compared to Maths, not sure about Hist.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.