European girls more confident than British girls

Watch
This discussion is closed.
thenextone
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just came back from the continent and to my surprise, I got approached twice in a club and that has never happened in the UK.

It seems like the girls there are more chilled and if they like someone they too are happy to go and chat to them.

Why is this? I've also noticed they wear far less makeup than British girls, so maybe they don't feel so fake and actually believe in themselves? Even on the subways, I got a few smiles whereas in the UK, girls tend to look down at the ground if any eye contact is made.

Also, I'm mixed Asian (South and East), so it certainly isn't because I look more continental..

I don't know, have I suddenly just become more attractive lol...(no)
ParadiseFound
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's the same with men.

When British girls go countries like Spain or Italy the men hound them down like dogs, apparently.

It's probably as British culture (characterised by formal codes of conduct) breeds restraint and modesty, whereas other European cultures are much more vibrant and overt about their feelings.
NutellaLuv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its true, they are a lot more confident and genuinely seem happier its weird
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure about confidence, though I agree with you about appearances especially less make up and much more style in the way women dress- French and Italian women in particular.
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
It's largely true. I've visited a lot of Europe and the UK is the only place where I've seen girls caked with makeup, chavs and just generally insecure people. Contrast that to say France/Holland and the girls are so confident in their own skin. Obviously not all British girls adhere to this though and not all European girls are confident.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It does happen moee often on holiday or even when you go to a new city in the UK. This is because your enthusiasm and holiday-ish attitude comes through.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aren't British girls European too?
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
Was about to post that :lol:
Anonymous #1
Report 5 years ago
Yeah but for some reason continental Europe and the UK are separated
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah but for some reason continental Europe and the UK are separated
Not really a legitimate reason to use the anon feature there

So a better thread title may have been to address them as continental European girls then?

Anyway, I lived in Germany for a few years whilst in the army, I didn't really notice much of a difference between German girls and British girls tbh.
thenextone
Rep:
?
Yes but it's traditional in Britain to separate ourselves due to a patch of water being between our island nation and continental Europe.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why is it strange that they're cheerful and happy? They have nice weather, attractive people and a great culture...all of which is lacking in UK so of course they aren't going to be miserable like Brits.
thenextone
Rep:
?
(Original post by arfah)
It's largely true. I've visited a lot of Europe and the UK is the only place where I've seen girls caked with makeup, chavs and just generally insecure people. Contrast that to say France/Holland and the girls are so confident in their own skin. Obviously not all British girls adhere to this though and not all European girls are confident.
(Original post by barnetlad)
I'm not sure about confidence, though I agree with you about appearances especially less make up and much more style in the way women dress- French and Italian women in particular.
(Original post by NutellaLuv)
Its true, they are a lot more confident and genuinely seem happier its weird
I think part of it may be that because they get adequate levels of sunshine, they naturally have better skin/nicer tan and feel less inclined to wear lots of make up but that's only a theory. I guess in that sense I sympathise with British girls a bit in that they don't have the luxury of 4/5 months of decent amounts of sunshine.

But it still seems weird that they just go and chat to whoever they like (where most girls here just way for a guy to come chat to them) and if they like you they'll make it very obvious - lots of eye contact, none of this subtle stuff which I've noticed at home.
NutellaLuv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Better skin no frickin way, they tend to have warts and they age very badly. (not all but many)
arfah
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thenextone)
I think part of it may be that because they get adequate levels of sunshine, they naturally have better skin/nicer tan and feel less inclined to wear lots of make up but that's only a theory. I guess in that sense I sympathise with British girls a bit in that they don't have the luxury of 4/5 months of decent amounts of sunshine.

But it still seems weird that they just go and chat to whoever they like (where most girls here just way for a guy to come chat to them) and if they like you they'll make it very obvious - lots of eye contact, none of this subtle stuff which I've noticed at home.
That's so true about their tan! That's a really good point. My skin always looks better when I go to a hot country. I guess British people in general are unlucky because of the weather. >_<
CharlotteLynette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's probably partly down to the fact that us British girls are constantly being called ugly; according to many, British girls are the ugliest of all. Some of the comments I've seen really are awful; I for one feel extremely self-conscious now.
Low self-esteem, possibly?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CharlotteLynette)
It's probably partly down to the fact that us British girls are constantly being called ugly; according to many, British girls are the ugliest of all. Some of the comments I've seen really are awful; I for one feel extremely self-conscious now.
Low self-esteem, possibly?
Self esteem and confidence i'd think.

As with most of these threads idiots talk in generalities and annecdotally. If that avatar is you, thenquite clearly you have nothing to worry about on the physical front, in fact quite the opposite. If I was in the business of passing compliments then some wouldnt look out of place coming your way.
CharlotteLynette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Self esteem and confidence i'd think.

As with most of these threads idiots talk in generalities and annecdotally. If that avatar is you, thenquite clearly you have nothing to worry about on the physical front, in fact quite the opposite. If I was in the business of passing compliments then some wouldnt look out of place coming your way.
Thank you very much for your kind words, and yes, that avatar is me. I feel so much better now; your reply is greatly appreciated.
no way uk 0123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But UK people look more decent and modest except the club goers and revelers(I think only the white britons are real british.And they can not go for revelry)So they look the most beautiful in the world.Modesty is beauty.Is flashing most of your body parts so cool? I don't know why people look for sexy ones? Does it mean a person who is sexy is good looking?Is all beauty of human body hidden in private parts.people who can flash confidently are so good looking?They are just indecent and garbage of our society.
Justvisited
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Meteorological determinism. This should be the real meaning of "Stockholm syndrome".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads