Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently I've been looking at deaneries and I've noticed there are a few of them who allow the possibility of doing FY2 abroad. Although it seems on the whole that they are against the idea what are people's thoughts about it? Anyone know of any success stories?

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this since it's something I'm still curious about and would like to find out more about!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Australia post FY2, and I worked with some people who had gone out at the end of FY1 to do FY2 abroad. It's therefore certainly possible, and the admin doesn't seem to be that bad - the deanery and then GMC have to approve each post abroad, to make sure that it will provide the training that you need, and it's likely that if you approach the deaneries they'll be able to tell you where previous FY2s have gone.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect this varies between foundation schools. I can't imagine that most will be wild about the idea because they want to provide doctors to fill slots in the local hospital rotas. If you disappear for FY2, trusts may need to replace you with an expensive locum, unless the "year overseas" is something they have already built into the programme.

If you're keen to do this, I would contact foundation schools in advance to understand which ones are willing/able to entertain this as an option. As long as they agreed, and you could work in an appropriate training setting (in which you completed the necessary FY2 assessments/competencies...), this shouldn't be too difficult. The difficulty is likely to come in getting them to agree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I know of someone doing it in NZ this year. They specifically choose the deanery as it allowed it and got things underway early, is all i would say.

With the impending shortage of doctors next year I bet they're not keen on the group applying atm, and the new contract is an unknown, but hopefully it will still be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Recently I've been looking at deaneries and I've noticed there are a few of them who allow the possibility of doing FY2 abroad. Although it seems on the whole that they are against the idea what are people's thoughts about it? Anyone know of any success stories?
    I have a friend who is planning to do this. She aaid that out of all foundation doctors last year, only something like 4 did an FY2 abroad, and all of those were in NZ. If you want to do it you pretty much have to organise the whole placement yourself, including ensuring that it meets GMC standards

If you're thinking of going to NZ the easiest way to start looking into this is to try and get in touch with someone who's done it. I think someone wrote an article on their experience that was included in the FPAS applicant's handbook, or possibly junior doctor's magazine or something. If you're not planning on NZ... I honestly don't know how you'd even start, beyond just emailing hospitals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    If you're not planning on NZ... I honestly don't know how you'd even start, beyond just emailing hospitals
    I went through the GMC approval process, albeit for an overseas year during specialty training. It's not particularly onerous but can take a while as multiple people need to approve the application, each one of whom can introduce delays. I think the main obstacle will be finding a foundation programme that is willing to accommodate this kind of arrangement.

Either way the OP will need to begin contacting foundation programme directors +/- potential overseas hospitals asap.

ReputationRep:
    I've never quite been able to figure out why you'd bother doing FY2 abroad. Sure, it may be technically possible in a handful of deaneries but you place yourself in a situation where you are limited in your FY1 choices, there are so many constraints on what you can do and where you can do it once you're in NZ, and you have to jump through so many bureaucratic hoops to make it all possible. Whereas if you hold on for just one more year, polish off the Foundation programme in its entirity and most of the world is open to you....no brainer in my mind. FY years fly by so quickly anyway!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 16, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.