Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE History A: Medicine Through Time OCR. Got full marks in my coursework (A*), got 77/90 (A) in the first exam and 45/60 (B) in the second exam. I know I should be happy with this grade but my parents expected more of me especially seeing as how I need an A* in History to get into my desired sixth form college. Overall, I got 172/200 (A) and I'm not sure what the overall mark for an A* is. I was 4UMS off an A* in the first exam and 3UMS off an A in the second exam. But i'm not sure if I am 7UMS off an A* overall. What do you think? Do you think it is worth a remark? I thought I did pretty well but I guess not :/

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Someone please answer this as I'm in the same situation.

I got 87 UMS in the first exam (A*) and 45 UMS in second (B) and coursework 40 UMS (A)
    Overall i got 172 UMS but needed 180 UMS for A*
    Is 8 UMS too much to ask for? it's history so marking is opinionated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny129)
    Someone please answer this as I'm in the same situation.

I got 87 UMS in the first exam (A*) and 45 UMS in second (B) and coursework 40 UMS (A)
    Overall i got 172 UMS but needed 180 UMS for A*
    Is 8 UMS too much to ask for? it's history so marking is opinionated
    Well, seeing as no-one has replied, it's up to ourselves. I'd say we discuss with our teachers and see what they think. However, I'm definitely going to try for a remark in both my exams. We were only 3UMS off A in our second exam. As you said marking is opinionated so we may actually have a chance. 8UMS may be a bit much to ask for if you just sent 1 exam in. Although you got an A* in the first exam, you could send it in again if you want as you could gain a few marks (to help gain 8UMS overall) but that may not be recommended. Even if you do lose marks, you're at a very high A so there's no loss. Good luck if you do send it in for a remark!

ReputationRep:
    hey i'm in the same boat as i got 47/50 (A*) in the CA, 89/90 (A*) in paper 1 but 36/60 (C) in paper 2 so i ended up with 172/180. gonna get my paper 2 remarked as i don't usually get lower than As... hoping they find at least 8 ish more marks to get my 8+ ums for an A* overall !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaybannell)
    hey i'm in the same boat as i got 47/50 (A*) in the CA, 89/90 (A*) in paper 1 but 36/60 (C) in paper 2 so i ended up with 172/180. gonna get my paper 2 remarked as i don't usually get lower than As... hoping they find at least 8 ish more marks to get my 8+ ums for an A* overall !!!
    I hope so too. Good luck if you get it remarked! History and English have more likely chances of being bumped up a grade so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Hey have any of yours spoken to teachers about getting a remark or got a remark back what did they say?

ReputationRep:
    Hey have any of yours spoken to teachers about getting a remark or got a remark back what did they say?
    Sent it in for a remark not too long ago. Still waiting. What about you? How much did yours cost btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myaow)
    Sent it in for a remark not too long ago. Still waiting. What about you? How much did yours cost btw?
    My teacher advised me not too as apparently you can only remark one unit and it's unlikely to go up 8 raw marks and with OCR history 1 raw is the same as 1 UMS

ReputationRep:
    My teacher advised me not too as apparently you can only remark one unit and it's unlikely to go up 8 raw marks and with OCR history 1 raw is the same as 1 UMS
    I was allowed to have both of my two exams remarked though. It's already been sent in now. Is 1 UMS really worth 1 raw mark?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.