kithu1602
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know I have A-levels to go. But I received my GCSE results and I got 2A*(ICT &Maths),7A(RE,Biology,chemistry,physics,maths,English literature,Business studies) & 1B(English language) ! I would still like to do medicine. Do you have any advice as in:
1) Can I still apply for medicine?
2) where I should apply?
3)Any revision tips?
4)Any personal statement tips?
5)Any tips overall?
Mel1312
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kithu1602)
I know I have A-levels to go. But I received my GCSE results and I got 2A*(ICT &Maths),7A(RE,Biology,chemistry,physics,maths,English literature,Business studies) & 1B(English language) ! I would still like to do medicine. Do you have any advice as in:
1) Can I still apply for medicine?
2) where I should apply?
3)Any revision tips?
4)Any personal statement tips?
5)Any tips overall?
Hello!

1) Yes. Yes. Yes. Don't focus on the idea you need 10A*s or some nonsense like that. Your GCSEs are good enough although I wouldn't recommend GCSE heavy universities such as Cardiff, Oxford, Birmingham.
2) Depends. When you do your UKCAT/ BMAT next year we'll have a better idea. The best thing you can say is any universities which require an A in English language (e.g. Southampton BM5 and Bristol) are out. The rest of your grades should meet minimum entry requirements for most.
3) Stay focused at AS and don't be afraid to ask for help. AS is a lot more overwhelming and there is nothing wrong with saying you are a bit stuck. Revise consistently rather than bulk (if that's what you did at GCSE)
4) Right now, don't write it. Look for volunteering, work experience, extracurriculars
5) Keep up to date on medical news this year. It helps you to gauge your interest in medicine and also when interviews come round you'll sound a lot more convincing than someone who has read 100 articles in 1 week.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have today or later on
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOADS and LOADS of you are now asking, "are my GCSE's good enough for medicine", and obviously there are some very individual cases but here is basic guidelines...

Every university is very different, and look at GCSE grades differently, some just check you meet the minimum and some rank you using them. So its all about looking at each medical school before applying.

At a bare minumum you should have a B in english language, maths and either dual or triple science.
--> some universities want much higher than this, but this is usually the minimum - i wouldnt recommend applying with lower

Now as medicine is so competative most universities want to see high grades, at a minimum most medical schools want to see 6A/A* grades
--> there are a couple of exceptions to this, so its worth scouring admission sites before ruling it all out

If you have met the above then you should be fine to apply to some
Medical schools, the higher your GCSE grades, specifically in science, maths and english, means the more options you have.

GCSE heavy medical schools include... Oxford, liverpool, lancaster, cardiff, birmingham, edinburgh - and there are a few more... For most of these schools you need very high GCSE grades...

Oxford, cardiff, birmingham and edinburgh arent worth applying to unless you have 6A* plus at GCSE!

I posted this on the 2017 medical applicants page and I didnt want to have to write it again! You are in great shape to apply to medicine, although your B in english may hinder you for some medical schools! so do your research.

My advice would be to avoid the GCSE heavy schools stated above also!

In terms of revision tips, start early! Also record/index cards are your best friend! as are past papers! but just find what works for you!

In terms of your personal statement make sure you have some work experience and some ideally long term voluntary work in a caring role (nursing home, hospital etc.) - and also make sure you have an extra curricular activity!

good luck and hope this helps!
Error404OLE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) GCSE's look ok, it will be more about what A-levels you do and how well you do in them?? What are you studying by the way ?
2) Where ever you want. Aim for top medicine schools. Quick google search will bring you u with the top Universities.
3) Cant help with this one. Everyone has there own way to revise. Try everything.
4) My teacher helped me with mine so cant give any tips. Best to look around other threads on the TSR about personal statement tips.
5) Study hard as A-Levels can be very stressing. If you fall behind it can be difficult to catch up. Trying to balance college work and social life is not easy. If you really wish to go into medicine try to make academics a priority.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads