Padoue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm going to keep this very simple:
About to start year 13 with History, English Literature, and Drama as my subjects.
I recently decided that I want to study computer science at university.
I also decided that I want to study in the USA.
In the US, GCSE grades are equivalent to their graduating high school grades that they use to get into university, A-levels are seen as extra university level qualifications - which is great!
I want to go to a recognised university.
I therefore have decided that the best thing for me to do would be to drop Drama and take up AS level maths this year in order to ensure a place.
Is this a possibility at this point in the year? Is my school allowed to deny me the option of changing my subjects at this point?

Thank you for answering my question! I need to figure out what I'm doing ASAP in order to apply and everything.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Padoue)
I'm going to keep this very simple:
About to start year 13 with History, English Literature, and Drama as my subjects.
I recently decided that I want to study computer science at university.
I also decided that I want to study in the USA.
In the US, GCSE grades are equivalent to their graduating high school grades that they use to get into university, A-levels are seen as extra university level qualifications - which is great!
I want to go to a recognised university.
I therefore have decided that the best thing for me to do would be to drop Drama and take up AS level maths this year in order to ensure a place.
Is this a possibility at this point in the year? Is my school allowed to deny me the option of changing my subjects at this point?

Thank you for answering my question! I need to figure out what I'm doing ASAP in order to apply and everything.
Most US universities, according to the Fulbright Commission, require three full A Levels - so actually you have a better chance keeping Drama. AS Maths might be useful but not if it means you only finish with only two full A Levels. For that reason your school might try to stop you on that as well. You might be allowed to take up the AS Maths alongside your three A2s, though.

Edit: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in...uirements-faqs
This has all the info you need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed