Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    as

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterbreezer)
    Hi I just finished my first year at kings college london and my second year is soon to start. The thing is while I had some good moments from my first year I don't really have any close friends, I have friends and a social group but I wouldn't say I'm particularly close to them, only one really.. I'm going to be a lot more social in my 2nd year to get over this but it would be a lot easier to just have a fresh start at a new uni but the process of switching is not straightforward . My plan is to just beast 2nd year in all aspects but I was wondering what transferring in 2nd year would be like, because if I were to transfer I would be a 2nd year in a new city with no connections which would surely be worse than my current situation, meaning if I was to get proper connections I'd have to do first year again, because by 2nd year people know people and are less receptive. And doing first year again while appealing in those ways does seem at the same time a bit drastic and perhaps unnecessary if I can just turn thins around This year:
    What do u guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would be a stupid idea to transfer universities just because you can't find any close friends. Why do you think transferring university will suddenly give you loads of good friends? It won't. Stay at KCL and talk to more people on your course, join societies, make better connections with your group of friends etc. Like you've said, it will be harder to make friends with a new group of second years. It's really not worth the effort of a transfer and adjusting to a new environment just for the sake of possibly making a few better friends.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed which is why i would if i did transfer do 1st year again. And i think id make closer mates because by george the penny dropped around may june this year and i realised how poor my attitude towards makjng friends has been, far too often aloof etc. Id like to think with this new found wisdom i could make the best of the rest of kings but then why not just start over at a more intimate location (bristol notts eg) and do it right this time from the start. Might be being a tad spoilt / silly but i do genuinely feel this and i feel like that the only things making me want to not is fear of.failure which is lame and financials (not the end of the world live n learn) . That said ill give kings and social life and everything an almighty good go and ill see how i feel by reading week ish (End of october)theres also things like ive lived in london albeit suburbs all my life and perhaps itd be valuable to get out of the m25 lol since all the work and connections are down here tjis will be my only chance to get out. I knew this before but of course we are always changjng as people in our thoughts and feelings
    Beware that if you start your second year at Kings, that will count as a full year of Student Finance funding. You won't have enough left to start a new degree from scratch and you would have to fund the first year yourself (including the tuition fee).

If you're going to leave Kings, you need to act NOW. First check with your target uni that they would even accept you - you might be expected to go through the whole UCAS application routine next year, or they might not accept you at all. Then you need to tell Kings that you're not coming back for your second year.

Honestly, running up another c.£15,000 worth of debt just because you can't make friends, seems a bit lame. Don't tell your target uni that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Beware that if you start your second year at Kings, that will count as a full year of Student Finance funding. You won't have enough left to start a new degree from scratch and you would have to fund the first year yourself (including the tuition fee).

If you're going to leave Kings, you need to act NOW. First check with your target uni that they would even accept you - you might be expected to go through the whole UCAS application routine next year, or they might not accept you at all. Then you need to tell Kings that you're not coming back for your second year.

Honestly, running up another c.£15,000 worth of debt just because you can't make friends, seems a bit lame. Don't tell your target uni that.
    When you say start second year what do you mean exactky? Bit worried because i have enrolled for 2nd year (did it online couple weeks back) and i have applied for student finance already too. But my second year in terms of induction is in 3 weeks with lectures from the 21st onwards.
    Additionally i got a*ab at a level which qualified me for the AAA kings as well as it did bristol but i got an underwhelming 2:2 in my first year at Kings - do you reckon that would undermine me transferring or would my strong a level profile + personal statement\ work experience be sufficient? Either way i intend on calling up a couple unis to see what the process is in terms of transfer/applying. Really wishing moving uni was as easy as simply upping sticks and moving :/

ReputationRep:
    When you say start second year what do you mean exactky? Bit worried because i have enrolled for 2nd year (did it online couple weeks back) and i have applied for student finance already too. But my second year in terms of induction is in 3 weeks with lectures from the 21st onwards.
    Don't turn up on campus and enrol for the year if you decide that you're leaving. Enrolling triggers your SF payment which will write the year off of your SF entitlement.

Additionally i got a*ab at a level which qualified me for the AAA kings as well as it did bristol but i got an underwhelming 2:2 in my first year at Kings - do you reckon that would undermine me transferring or would my strong a level profile + personal statement\ work experience be sufficient?
    There are so many variables that nobody here could possibly know. Depends entirely on the uni, the course director, the admissions policy, the competition from other students with potentially higher marks, how full/empty the course is, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I feel exactly the same! Im a second year at KCL too, and its just generally an unsociable uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merrrrr)
    Hi, I feel exactly the same! Im a second year at KCL too, and its just generally an unsociable uni
    What course? And yeah student life in London is just not as good as anywhere else , because its too spread out too many faces so many diff unis in one city cant know everyone etc
    Are you looking to transfer too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Don't turn up on campus and enrol for the year if you decide that you're leaving. Enrolling triggers your SF payment which will write the year off of your SF entitlement.

There are so many variables that nobody here could possibly know. Depends entirely on the uni, the course director, the admissions policy, the competition from other students with potentially higher marks, how full/empty the course is, etc etc.
    Called up Bristol Manchester and Nottingham. All 3 have no places on their politics courses. The first two stated that 2:1 was typically what they expected of transfer students, and when I pressed Manchester on this they specifically said that a 2:2 would be likely to stand against me despite me having a stronger A Level profile than their requirements and things like work exp, personal statement.
    Really not sure what my options are now. If a 2:2 is going to stand against me it seems like I would not get offers from these universities if I applied. Furthermore how I can ensure a productive gap year if I were to take one that would impress admissions people and employers later is another question.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I know exactly how you feel in terms of not having had a great year due to not having many close friends etc. I had a lot of problems last year regarding friends; i spent a lot of time with flatmates then realised we didnt really like each other, didnt enjoy my degree so didnt make any coursemates, and probably had some sort of depression/anxiety.

My plan was to leave uni, take a year out and re-apply somewhere new where i felt different and fresh and approachable.

I'm now in two minds about this, I dont think dropping out will be good for me mentally and I dont see myself coping without the slight stability of university.

I now think I will go back to university and just really immerse myself. Second years are incredibly friendly (at my university anyway) and whilst many people do have friendships 'groups' these change and develop. I do have a few close friends, most of whom I became close to towards the end of the year so its not like people stop making friends. My only problem, is im yet to apply for finance haha.

What I would say, is try to really immerse yourself in this first term, and if still things dont feel right you can always taking an intermission or temporary withdrawal from your degree in december to review the situation again.

Makin friends :
    1.friends of old flatmates
    2.friends of new flatmates
    3.new coursemates (people who transferred uni/course)
    4.societies (1st/2nd years etc)
    5.a new job. esp in london
    6.old friends (you say you grew up in london?)
    7.neighbours
    8.people in pubs/clubs/bars

Lastly, you say you might not get into bristol.manchester/notts with those grades. Those are 3 top top unis that are unlikely to accept transfers. However more middling universities are more likely too. You may feel like this is a step down but if it can make you feel better, it might be worth a shot- some ideas down south: Sussex, Kent, Surrey. Elsewhere Liverpool, Birmingham maybe? I cant help too much on economics though!

Good luck with everything, it can be isolating to not have many friends but just remember the few you do have, maybe let them know your worries and try to enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I think i can make more friends here etc its more id rather be in a more intimate student city environment which I expect would be more enjoyable and a better student experience. Having talked to manchester admissions again they said they had accepted 2.2 transfers in the past, provided there was a Good reference from the uni.

Still though whether it is a risk worth taking i don't know. I would not want to not get any offers from those unis. Furthermore im against firmly taking a step down in uni. The only alternative to sticking ut out at kings is to take a gap year while keeping my place at kings so if i get no suitable offers ill remain at kcl. Then the issue is all my friends will be 3rd years and ill be a 2nd. Im emailing my personal tutor at the moment, and hopefully he will have some good advice. If i could just feel there was a good chance i could get those offers id rrapply and take the gap year. The necessity of a gap year is because of Student Finance issues if I start 2nd year at kings. What stands for me is strong a levels (a*ab) which would exceed manchester and Nottinghams aab and course related work exp (politics). What stands against of course is a weak 2.2 and weak reason for leaving essentially (im not depressed, family member didn't die). But what manc says implies a solid uni reference could tip things in my favour. Confusing

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.