A-level Biology or Physics Watch

zweeden99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I just got my GCSE Results and I got an A in biology and physics. I am definitely doing chemistry as I gt an A* but im torn between the others. I don't know what i was to do as a job yet so out of the two, what would keep the most possibilities open for me. The exam board is going to be AQA and my my other options are maths, chemistry and english lit. And also, which one is generally easier at A-level. Thanks
benwilson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
difficulty is subjective - depends on whether you're better at puzzles(physics) or remembering things(biology). I'd say do physics because it compliments your other subjects more. Doing Maths makes Physics a breeze, whereas Biology is a much bigger workload.

p.s. i'm a biased physicist
ZeshanGriffin
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I studied all three at A level. it really depends on what you want to do in the future,
physics will open more door if thats what you're focused on. nearly all employers and
universities see physics as a positive, due to the wide array of skills it requires one to have.
my physics teacher would always stress this also, its a great subject,
however bare in mind it requires alot more hours in terms of work: result ratio.

hope you found this help, if you have anymore questions let me know,
i'm currently in 2nd year of medical school. know how it feels
Kokoloko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been told by various people that physics is awfully difficult, even my aunt who's an A Level physics teacher warned me from taking physics haha, but I'm taking it anyway.
But as it's been said a million times, difficultly is subjective and it's up to what you're personally stronger in.

Biology to me is just lots and LOTS of similar sounding words whereas physics requires you to have a deeper understanding of everything.

I say choose the one that you enjoyed most at GCSE, if you find it to be too difficult, ask to change to the other
zweeden99
Rep:
?
Ah ok thanks for that. Just to ask to do medicine chemistry is compulsery isnt it? And you need two from maths,physics and biology? Also, do i have to do chemistry, physics and maths at A2 or can i drop physics or maths. I ask this because maths is probably my weakest and i have heard A2 is really hard. And finally, i am a tiny bit squesmish with insides and things lol so do you reckon i would get over this? Sorry for all the questions im just intrested in your answers.
gabby07
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zweeden99)
Ah ok thanks for that. Just to ask to do medicine chemistry is compulsery isnt it? And you need two from maths,physics and biology? Also, do i have to do chemistry, physics and maths at A2 or can i drop physics or maths. I ask this because maths is probably my weakest and i have heard A2 is really hard. And finally, i am a tiny bit squesmish with insides and things lol so do you reckon i would get over this? Sorry for all the questions im just intrested in your answers.
Hey I'm about to start my A2s noticed your thread and predicament, but what subject you continue through to AS is greatly affected by the examining board of your subject areas. Do you happen to know what this will be next year for you?

I did both Chem and Bio but not Physics at AS

EDIT: Oh, and Chemistry is not essential for all MedSchools, but for most, yes.
zweeden99
Rep:
?
(Original post by gabby07)
Hey I'm about to start my A2s noticed your thread and predicament, but what subject you continue through to AS is greatly affected by the examining board of your subject areas. Do you happen to know what this will be next year for you?

I did both Chem and Bio but not Physics at AS

EDIT: Oh, and Chemistry is not essential for all MedSchools, but for most, yes.
The exam boards for the sciences are AQA and maths is edexcel
zweeden99
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZeshanGriffin)
I studied all three at A level. it really depends on what you want to do in the future,
physics will open more door if thats what you're focused on. nearly all employers and
universities see physics as a positive, due to the wide array of skills it requires one to have.
my physics teacher would always stress this also, its a great subject,
however bare in mind it requires alot more hours in terms of work: result ratio.

hope you found this help, if you have anymore questions let me know,
i'm currently in 2nd year of medical school. know how it feels
Ah ok thanks for that. Just to ask to do medicine chemistry is compulsery isnt it? And you need two from maths,physics and biology? Also, do i have to do chemistry, physics and maths at A2 or can i drop physics or maths. I ask this because maths is probably my weakest and i have heard A2 is really hard. And finally, i am a tiny bit squesmish with insides and things lol so do you reckon i would get over this? Sorry for all the questions im just intrested in your answers
benwilson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah ok thanks for that. Just to ask to do medicine chemistry is compulsery isnt it? And you need two from maths,physics and biology? Also, do i have to do chemistry, physics and maths at A2 or can i drop physics or maths. I ask this because maths is probably my weakest and i have heard A2 is really hard. And finally, i am a tiny bit squesmish with insides and things lol so do you reckon i would get over this? Sorry for all the questions im just intrested in your answers
if maths is a weak point then keep away from physics (it's applied maths). I'm in 3rd year of a physics degree. I did all sciences and further maths at a-level. For medicine you don't need any skills lol so don't worry about studying maths or physics. just concentrate on chem and Bio.
gabby07
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1. Most medical schools will ask for Chemistry A2. From what I know it's certainly not all of them - I know of a number of them that have requirements for Chemistry or Biology at A2, however if this is the case then Chemistry must have been taken at AS. To answer your question definitively you will definitely need to do Chemistry at least until next year for medicine.

2. Maths is certainly NOT a requirement for Medicine though. You can drop this if you wish - medical schools will not penalise you for not having done A2 Maths.

3. When you say "I'm squeamish" are you worrying about this being a problem in your medical career, or your AS subjects (Biology dissections for example)? Not quite sure what you mean by this.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I didn't do any of your boards. Although we did do AQA Physics AS, I never did Physics A-Level.
orangeee22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're wondering about a levels options for medicine this page is really useful and may answer some of your questions: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement
zweeden99
Rep:
?
(Original post by gabby07)
1. Most medical schools will ask for Chemistry A2. From what I know it's certainly not all of them - I know of a number of them that have requirements for Chemistry or Biology at A2, however if this is the case then Chemistry must have been taken at AS. To answer your question definitively you will definitely need to do Chemistry at least until next year for medicine.

2. Maths is certainly NOT a requirement for Medicine though. You can drop this if you wish - medical schools will not penalise you for not having done A2 Maths.

3. When you say "I'm squeamish" are you worrying about this being a problem in your medical career, or your AS subjects (Biology dissections for example)? Not quite sure what you mean by this.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I didn't do any of your boards. Although we did do AQA Physics AS, I never did Physics A-Level.
Thanks for this. I suppose i mean it from dissections and my medical career.
gabby07
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for this. I suppose i mean it from dissections and my medical career.
Ah ok. I wouldn't worry too much about that. There will be many people who will feel the same.
gabriellakhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Physics is much more interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads