The Student Room Group

Can i get into top uni's with these GCSEs

With these GCSEs, I definitely know that Oxbridge is now out of the equation as I don't have 6+ A* and I have more than 1 B, however, can I still apply to top russel group universities such as imperial, durham , ucl despite amazing a level results?

My GCSEs:

Physics A*
Maths A
chemistry A
biology A
geography A
product design A
French A
eng lit B
eng lang B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can still apply to Oxford or Cambridge.

GCSEs are not the most important criteria for them (even for Oxford) for most courses.
Reply 2
Most universities care more about your AS grades than GCSEs, so I wouldn't worry too much. It does depend a bit on the course/ uni but you would definitely have a decent chance at many Russell group unis, even Oxbridge if your ASs go well :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I want to study chemical engineering btw, initially I wanted to go to Cambridge or imperial but that looks almost impossible despite good as grades
Reply 4
Original post by Kai Diawara
I want to study chemical engineering btw, initially I wanted to go to Cambridge or imperial but that looks almost impossible despite good as grades

Re-read my first reply.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Re-read my first reply.

sorry, its just that im really stressed out because of all these stalking pages of with plenty of people who achive like 10A*
Reply 6
sorry, its just that im really stressed out because of all these stalking pages of with plenty of people who achive like 10A*

Honestly, don't stress. If you have good ASs and the rest of your application is good then you have every chance.

Enjoy the summer.

And good luck!

PS. The stalking page is NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF CAMBRIDGE APPLICANTS :smile:

Asking questions like those will not relieve your stress, you know?
You've got what you've got. You can't to change that now.
As others said, GCSE is not that important. What IS important is what you're goint to do from NOW ON.

Work as hard as possible, do a lot of super-curricular, after you do that for a year, only then you'll see which university/s is the right one for you.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Honestly, don't stress. If you have good ASs and the rest of your application is good then you have every chance.

Enjoy the summer.

And good luck!

PS. The stalking page is NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF CAMBRIDGE APPLICANTS :smile:

thanks and how comes?
Reply 9
thanks and how comes?

It's human nature for those with the "best" grades, etc to be happiest to publicise them. Then others with "less good" grades see that and think "wow I can't compete with this. I'm not putting my info on here for others to judge...". And others with "good" grades think "hmm, ok so it looks like I have a chance, I'll add my info."

So it becomes a vicious circle.

But if "normal" students started adding their info then other "normal" students would be encouraged to join them.

:poke:

:wink:
Original post by jneill
It's human nature for those with the "best" grades, etc to be happiest to publicise them. Then others with "less good" grades see that and think "wow I can't compete with this. I'm not putting my info on here for others to judge...". And others with "good" grades think "hmm, ok so it looks like I have a chance, I'll add my info."

So it becomes a vicious circle.

But if "normal" students started adding their info then other "normal" students would be encouraged to join them.

:poke:

:wink:

wow, never saw it from that prospective I guess. hopefully I atleast get an interview at Cambridge by bossing my as levels and my personal statement :smile:. thank you
Reply 11
wow, never saw it from that prospective I guess. hopefully I atleast get an interview at Cambridge by bossing my as levels and my personal statement :smile:. thank you

That's the spirit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only got 1 A* at GCSE and then got into Cambridge, but I suspect the fact that I went to a completely awful school had something to do with it too
Original post by Sparticus515
I only got 1 A* at GCSE and then got into Cambridge, but I suspect the fact that I went to a completely awful school had something to do with it too

Wow, thats incredible, could you give me some tips on what you did after GCSE and what course you studied. And yep its based in a "poor" part in south London :frown:
Wow, thats incredible, could you give me some tips on what you did after GCSE and what course you studied. And yep its based in a "poor" part in south London :frown:

Did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A Level and I study Computer Science now, just do well at AS and it's definitely possible! If it makes you feel any better I got all 5 offers from my application (including Imperial and Durham).
Original post by Sparticus515
Did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A Level and I study Computer Science now, just do well at AS and it's definitely possible! If it makes you feel any better I got all 5 offers from my application (including Imperial and Durham).

Woah really, im going to do the same a level combination to do chemical engineering. What was your A* in gcse if you don't mind me asking
My son got into Cambridge with much worse GCSEs than yours. Something we did, which may or may not have helped, was to get a teacher from a school where they send a lot of pupils to Oxbridge to check his personal statement. He had done lots of things related to his degree subject and aced his A levels. Good luck. And well done.
Original post by Bingobanjo
My son got into Cambridge with much worse GCSEs than yours. Something we did, which may or may not have helped, was to get a teacher from a school where they send a lot of pupils to Oxbridge to check his personal statement. He had done lots of things related to his degree subject and aced his A levels. Good luck. And well done.

Well done for you son for getting the offer. . You both must be very happy and proud.:smile:
It's a good advice to have your PS checked by someone who knows Oxbridge application, but I'm not sure if that was a big factor in your son's success, as Cambridge does not focus very much on PS.
Grades/UMS are much more important for them, so I suspect it was your son's grades and the upward trajectory from GCSE > A-levels that helped him won the offer. How well did he do on AS/A2 levels (and which subjects and the course he's reading), if I may ask?
He finished at Cambridge last year, in fact. I can't remember his UMS but they were high at AS and he came out with 2 A*s and 2 As, which was his offer, in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.His school is frankly not very good. He was the first person to go to Oxbridge for several years and no one has gone since. At GCSE he got a range of grades from A* to C. He couldn't be persuaded to do much work for the subjects he didn't like. Once he was doing A level he was happy to work hard as he was doing the subjects he liked.
Woah really, im going to do the same a level combination to do chemical engineering. What was your A* in gcse if you don't mind me asking

It was in maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending