Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to take Chemistry, biology, maths and sociology. My plan is to choose an easier a level so that i can do really well in chem/bio/maths (A's in yr12)
    plus i really like the look of sociology (for year12 only)

I was a bit concerned that uni's might disregard my application or not take me seriously.
    My GCSE's are not outstanding too(5a*'s/5a's/1b) so i know i need to make it up at a level somehow.

Will i be disadvantaged if i take sociology along with my alright gcse's?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that's an absolutely fine selection of A-levels for medicine

(Original post by Frappé)
    I want to take Chemistry, biology, maths and sociology. My plan is to choose an easier a level so that i can do really well in chem/bio/maths (A's in yr12)

I was a bit concerned that uni's might disregard my application or not take me seriously.
    My GCSE's are not outstanding too(5a*'s/5a's/1b) so i know i need to make it up at a level somehow.

Do it

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is fine for medicine. It is not considered a soft subject.

Just don't apply to Cambridge where the vast majority of people have all sciences

ReputationRep:

No, you have 3 "serious" subjects, that are perfect for applying to medicine. If you feel like you are going to enjoy it, go for it. Your GCSE are perfectly fine, a friend of mine got the same GCSE grades (near enough) and did maths, chemistry,biology and geography at level and got offers for medicine, so it's fine.

The most important subjects are biology and chemistry so focus on those and then pick 2 more that you like.

Perhaps,biology, chemistry, sociology and psychology

That is a good combo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamboy)
    why medical science over another kind of science? there are so many different types of science out there - why medical? why does this one stand out if not for the $?
    Personally I'm interested in the workings of the human body, and I'm currently planning on doing GEM after my degree (biomedical science). I want to go on to do forensic pathology, not a doctor. There are many other paths leading from a medicine degree, it shows a lot of skill and academic ability. Obviously there are a a lot of doctors, GPs, surgeons etc. but further study is another option. I'm sure the instilled view that doctor=money does come into the equation (why would we choose any degree if not to make a career/money?), but passion for the subject is another deciding factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fannibal)
    Personally I'm interested in the workings of the human body, and I'm currently planning on doing GEM after my degree (biomedical science). I want to go on to do forensic pathology, not a doctor. There are many other paths leading from a medicine degree, it shows a lot of skill and academic ability. Obviously there are a a lot of doctors, GPs, surgeons etc. but further study is another option. I'm sure the instilled view that doctor=money does come into the equation (why would we choose any degree if not to make a career/money?), but passion for the subject is another deciding factor.
    I've just been "informed" by a mod (e.g. the usual 'delete all your comments' method) that I'm not allowed to question people's degree choices so I'm sadly not allowed to scrutinise this message

ReputationRep:
    @flamboy

Doctors don't get paid much in this country compared to abroad but I do kind of agree with you, for the majority it's ego-driven and the prestige probably motivates them more. It's a sad way to seek validation but whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08Mercyf)
    Perhaps,biology, chemistry, sociology and psychology

That is a good combo.
    Yeah that does sound good because i do feel like sociology is a bit random with my other a levels but i researched psychology and the first year seems a little boring to me and i probably wont take it to year13

Yeah that does sound good because i do feel like sociology is a bit random with my other a levels but i researched psychology and the first year seems a little boring to me and i probably wont take it to year13
    Cool.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not considered "soft" but I reckon Psychology would be better. It's not a big deal either way, though. Whichever you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say stick with what you said before I did the same thing (Bio, chem, maths, and history). I basically only picked history because I really enjoyed it and thought it sounded interesting, I'm dropping it this year as I continue into A2. History is pretty random with 3 sciences as well but I found it equally as rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fannibal)
    I'd say stick with what you said before I did the same thing (Bio, chem, maths, and history). I basically only picked history because I really enjoyed it and thought it sounded interesting, I'm dropping it this year as I continue into A2. History is pretty random with 3 sciences as well but I found it equally as rewarding.
    Thanks for the advice, i'm literally the same but with sociology! I feel like there's lots of pressure to make you a levels "match" perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, i'm literally the same but with sociology! I feel like there's lots of pressure to make you a levels "match" perfectly.
    I know what you mean, but I doubt the 4th subject will make any difference to your chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamboy)
    I've just been "informed" by a mod (e.g. the usual 'delete all your comments' method) that I'm not allowed to question people's degree choices so I'm sadly not allowed to scrutinise this message
    may i ask which subjects you are interested in?

ReputationRep:
    may i ask which subjects you are interested in?
    politics

"why are you doing politics?"
    -"because I like the subject and I don't give a crap if I don't get paid well for it"
    in fact I'm *expecting* to not make very much from it already
    I was studying law last year but then I found it too boring to keep going just for the money in mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    @flamboy

Doctors don't get paid much in this country compared to abroad but I do kind of agree with you, for the majority it's ego-driven and the prestige probably motivates them more. It's a sad way to seek validation but whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes this country would be a much better place if students wised up and didn't go into medicine for the validation. Hopefully at some point everyone takes your advice so we have no doctors in the future treating your sorry ass when you're sick. Actually I'm going to go quit medicine right now. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Yes this country would be a much better place if students wised up and didn't go into medicine for the validation. Hopefully at some point everyone takes your advice so we have no doctors in the future treating your sorry ass when you're sick. Actually I'm going to go quit medicine right now. Thanks for the advice.
    I recognize that most doctors are egotistical and I have no issues with that. I just personally think it's a sad form of validation, to please your family / to use it as an indirect boast. It's like an arranged marriage, poor kids.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.