Are these a-levels strong enough for oxbridge? Watch

cyberblader
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have to pick my a-levels soon and my dream for years has been to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I can't pick between English or art, so I was going to study English literature, history, fine art and photography. Are these safe choices?

Edit: Btw, I'm currently achieving A*s in english; history; art; photography and maths, A's in all sciences and french, and an erm... a D in PE... I can't run.
Last edited by cyberblader; 3 years ago
TSR Jessica
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
username2110825
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cyberblader)
I have to pick my a-levels soon and my dream for years has been to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I can't pick between English or art, so I was going to study English literature, history, fine art and photography. Are these safe choices?

Edit: Btw, I'm currently achieving A*s in english; history; art; photography and maths, A's in all sciences and french, and an erm... a D in PE... I can't run.
Art and Photography are seen as relatively "soft" subjects by the Russell Group, even if they like to pretend otherwise; there are stats that prove it. However if you're planning to do Art at university then they're safe choices; I wouldn't recommend Photography though if that is your goal, Art in itself should be sufficient. From what you've said, Maths or a science is a nice boon for Oxbridge.

More than that, it's about results and passion for the subject - so make sure you pick things you know you're gonna be able to enjoy and thrive with!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

think I'm a brilliant applicant (534)
36.65%
are desperate for students (923)
63.35%

Watched Threads