Really stuck on 4th a level choice

Watch
Paisley99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm doing chemistry, physics and spanish a level and i don't have a clue what i want to go into (planning to do lots of work experience next year), I don't want to go to university as i want to go straight into employment UNLESS i realize that there is a course that i really want to do that requires me to go to university.

So here are my options:
Business Studies-
I didn't do this for GCSE but it looks fun.
History
I didn't do this for GCSE but recently I've been more interested in history and I'm reading an encyclopedia on british history as my general knowledge is so poor and i guess it's kinda interesting. It'll also be good to have something a bit different.
Maths
I am good at maths but my GCSE teacher was a d***. He's boring as well and I may have him again and i may just shoot myself as him and maths are so dry. He was a very good teacher though and I got an A*. Also i feel as though it won't really help me in life. GCSE syllabus was pretty amazing i guess but I don't know about A-Level.
Performance Studies (Music)
Fun and a great teacher my dream is to learn to play the drums and i want to play guitar and i just love music. But i didn't do it for gcse and theres no way im going into music.Apparently I shouldn't do 2 random subjects like spanish and music but :/ My family don't want me to do them 2 as well.

If you guys do any of the above subjects please tell me what is required in terms of amount of effort needed, what the exam involves, how difficult it is...just anything. What I choose may depend on which chemistry teacher i want as well lol.

i got a's and a*'s for gcse so i have the potential to do well in anything. apart from art which i got a c for lol and english literature is a pain.

also i hate that i got really good results and if you make a mistake people bring your results up.
Or the fact that i cant just do what i want because people expect me to be a doctor or if i dont go to university i'm wasting my "talent". Sorry just a little rant after results depression.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Paisley99)
So I'm doing chemistry, physics and spanish a level and i don't have a clue what i want to go into (planning to do lots of work experience next year), I don't want to go to university as i want to go straight into employment UNLESS i realize that there is a course that i really want to do that requires me to go to university.

So here are my options:
Business Studies-
History
I didn't do this for GCSE but recently I've been more interested in history and I'm reading an encyclopedia on british history as my general knowledge is so poor and i guess it's kinda interesting. It'll also be good to have something a bit different.
Maths
I am good at maths but my GCSE teacher was a d***. He's boring as well and I may have him again and i may just shoot myself as him and maths are so dry. He was a very good teacher though and I got an A*. Also i feel as though it won't really help me in life. GCSE syllabus was pretty amazing i guess but I don't know about A-Level.
Fun and a great teacher my dream is to learn to play the drums and i want to play guitar and i just love music. But i didn't do it for gcse and theres no way im going into music.Apparently I shouldn't do 2 random subjects like spanish and music but :/ My family don't want me to do them 2 as well.

If you guys do any of the above subjects please tell me what is required in terms of amount of effort needed, what the exam involves, how difficult it is...just anything. What I choose may depend on which chemistry teacher i want as well lol.

i got a's and a*'s for gcse so i have the potential to do well in anything. apart from art which i got a c for lol and english literature is a pain.

also i hate that i got really good results and if you make a mistake people bring your results up.
Or the fact that i cant just do what i want because people expect me to be a doctor or if i dont go to university i'm wasting my "talent". Sorry just a little rant after results depression.
DEFINITELY Maths! You are doing physics and chemistry which implies that if you did want to go to university you would do a physical science - almost all of these courses require maths. Maths will also help you in physics and chemistry, so even if you don't want to go to university it will allow you to do better in those subjects. It is also seen highly by employers, and given the other subjects it implies you want to do something sciency, which it would help with (but if you want to do science I would strongly recommend university - most science jobs want degrees).
If you do Edexcel Maths it is assessed with 6 modules - 3 in AS, 3 in A2. In AS you do C1, C2 and an applied module, and then in A2 you do C3, C4 and another applied module. They are much harder than GCSE but if you put the effort in it should be quite easy - Quite a few people do all 6 (I did 7!) in one year!
Paisley99
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThatPerson2)
DEFINITELY Maths! You are doing physics and chemistry which implies that if you did want to go to university you would do a physical science - almost all of these courses require maths. Maths will also help you in physics and chemistry, so even if you don't want to go to university it will allow you to do better in those subjects. It is also seen highly by employers, and given the other subjects it implies you want to do something sciency, which it would help with (but if you want to do science I would strongly recommend university - most science jobs want degrees).
If you do Edexcel Maths it is assessed with 6 modules - 3 in AS, 3 in A2. In AS you do C1, C2 and an applied module, and then in A2 you do C3, C4 and another applied module. They are much harder than GCSE but if you put the effort in it should be quite easy - Quite a few people do all 6 (I did 7!) in one year!

Thanks for the advice....it's true maths is probably the one to go for....if i don't like it I can always change.....i don't actually want to go into science though and maths implies that i do. I really don't know what to do but atleast with those 4 subjects i could go into ANYTHING right?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice....it's true maths is probably the one to go for....if i don't like it I can always change.....i don't actually want to go into science though and maths implies that i do. I really don't know what to do but atleast with those 4 subjects i could go into ANYTHING right?
Maths would probably best help the other subjects, and maths is applicable to many different fields - like business, economics, law, etc. You might not be able to go into anything (like becoming an english teacher is probably out) but it would be the least restrictive.
Paisley99
Rep:
?
Maths would probably best help the other subjects, and maths is applicable to many different fields - like business, economics, law, etc. You might not be able to go into anything (like becoming an english teacher is probably out) but it would be the least restrictive.
Lol yeah definitely don't want to be an english teacher. Unless it's as teaching English as a foreign language (as I'm doing Spanish A-Level, I can probably do that). What A-levels are you doing?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol yeah definitely don't want to be an english teacher. Unless it's as teaching English as a foreign language (as I'm doing Spanish A-Level, I can probably do that). What A-levels are you doing?
I may be slightly biased towards maths because I am doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology and general studies (most important a level!11!1!!!), and possibly philosophy and ethics as level (if they let me).
Paisley99
Rep:
?
I may be slightly biased towards maths because I am doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology and general studies (most important a level!11!1!!!), and possibly philosophy and ethics as level (if they let me).
Okay i just realised that is 6/7 a levels...Wth!
Waliid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would go with Maths too. You like maths and it's different from GCSE but I think you can good grade it and there's lot of help out there. So maths would be my recommendation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay i just realised that is 6/7 a levels...Wth!
:P

The school wanted me to drop one but I have managed to hide it under the radar for the past few weeks and now my UCAS is in so I can't drop one easily.
iwishicouldfly14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

So here are my options:
Business Studies-
History
Maths

Maths! Most 6th forms won't let you do chemistry/physics without Maths - they're basically comprised on maths (especially Physics)
Paisley99
Rep:
?
:P

The school wanted me to drop one but I have managed to hide it under the radar for the past few weeks and now my UCAS is in so I can't drop one easily.
so is that 6 or 7 you are doing? but how do you fit that many on your time table? And why are you doing that many?
Lot7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for maths! It is definitely a step up from GCSE but it will complement physics and chemistry well and is required for many science courses at uni.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
so is that 6 or 7 you are doing? but how do you fit that many on your time table? And why are you doing that many?
6. General studies doesn't have any lessons at my school, and further maths is taught in my free periods. Basically I just have no free periods at school.

I am doing them because I have no idea what I want to do at university (well, I do now that I have applied), and I quite enjoy all the subjects. The way I see it is that because of what I got in AS I only need to get Bs and Cs and I can get As overall, so I can push to try and get A*s and know that as long as I keep up I can get As with relative ease it makes them less painful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.88%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.44%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.75%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise