Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which newspaper(s) do you read? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Indy rules - though I wish they could kidnap the Telegraph sports writers.

ReputationRep:
    the independent in the week, the observer on sundays, and my friend and i do the cryptic from the metro!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Title says it all really.
    The Times - is the sunday papers.

Although I will pick up almost any broadsheet when bored.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday Times, Sunday Times, the local paper (Shropshire Star) and I used to read the Independant on Sunday... But my parents stopped buying it.

ReputationRep:
    Wahey! Go Independent. Switched from the Guardian and never looked back. Well, actually I do still read the Guardian occasionally, but the Independent is my staple.

ReputationRep:
    i read both times and telegraph, but telegraph is by far superior imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    Wahey! Go Independent. Switched from the Guardian and never looked back. Well, actually I do still read the Guardian occasionally, but the Independent is my staple.
    true

ReputationRep:
    Guardian (online at the moment...) New York Times- daily, Chicago Tribune- weds, fri and sunday

ReputationRep:
    I read the guardian, the times, bbc news online, portsmouth evening news (local news for local people :rolleyes: ) and sometimes a few others.

Unlike most people I don't have a problem with tabloids such as The Sun and The Star, after all if they wern't around then a lot of their readers probably wouldn't read at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mb-)
    Hello, *knock, knock* is anyone in, oh rude one? Firstly, I said I read the Telegraph and the Independent. Can you not read, or were your trying to be "clever"? I have read the Daily Mail about twice in my life, since you brought it up.

Secondly, my post was intended to be slightly H U M O R O U S.

Clearly a long and complicated word like this needs to be spelt out to you carefully, as you didn't notice subtle elements of my post such as the wild and jocular exaggeration, and deliberate over-use of colours and smilies.

Hopefully you can now spell "humorous" too, as the Grauniad won't have taught you.
    OK OK calm down, misread the poll. My mistake, sorry. However there are a lot of people in this forum who would use language to describe the Guardian in the way you so eloquently did without a trace of sarcasm, and you get used to defending it.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it ridiculous how much UK newspapers cost when you're abroad?
    They cost like £4 in Barbados which rather takes the piss (especially when you're reading yesterdays news). I guess I could live without many things, but not newspapers - they are essential.

Does anybody know anything about The International Herald Tribune, I'm always seeing it when I go on hols or to London (but I've never cared to read it) - what is its alignment/intended market/focus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Isn't it ridiculous how much UK newspapers cost when you're abroad?
    They cost like £4 in Barbados which rather takes the piss (especially when you're reading yesterdays news). I guess I could live without many things, but not newspapers - they are essential.
    Yeah, it's a pain. I always have to buy a paper on holiday, if only for the sport results. To be fair to them though, it's only to be expected - just think of the distribution costs.

ReputationRep:
    gotta be the times for me. The letters to the editor page is worth the 50p itself . I like the sun too, it's good for a bit of a laugh.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hattori)
    gotta be the times for me. The letters to the editor page is worth the 50p itself . I like the sun too, it's good for a bit of a laugh.
    You pay 50p?

It's only 15p from the student union shop here, 20 for the guardian and the telegraph and no discount for the independent or the tabloids.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.