Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I want to be a vet, and I'm just going into year 12 to start my alevels, but I think I could get better grades with only three subjects (Biology, Chemistry and German), rather than four (Physics). I've checked the four unis I'll apply to (Edinburgh, Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham), and none of them specify that four subjects are required - they only say Biology and Chemistry. But my problem is that I don't know if I'll be a weaker applicant compared to people with another option?

ReputationRep:
    I applied with three and got two offers I had Bio, Chem and Philosophy and got offers from the RVC and Bristol.

It's more about if you think you will be better off and achieve higher grades. However if you don't have a good grade in physics at GCSE then it might be worth considering taking it for AS instead of German in order to try and demonstrate a good ability in it - I think Bristol mentioned they liked their applicants to have a B in it at GCSE when I was at their open day, but don't hold me to that!
    I found it was more about the work experience/personal statement than the number of qualifications - that is unless you want to apply to Cambridge who seem much more academically driven than the others. As long as you have a good amount and large variety of work experience, good GCSE results and good predicted grades, it won't necessarily make a huge difference.
    Also any form of volunteer work is good, not just animal-related stuff. Science-related experience is also very good - I worked in a university science lab for a week, and there are all sorts of lectures or talks you could attend, or even go in for a science essay prize which are often available to year 12s.
    I would suggest visiting some of the unis if you can - they often hold an admissions talk at the end of the open day where they hint what sort of thing they would like you to write about in the personal statement - Edinburgh said while I was applying that they were more interested in you as a person in your personal statement compared to the other universities who wanted to hear more about experience and interests in veterinary. Also if you visit, when it comes to interview you can also mention your visit and ask more specific questions which they like!
    PM me if you'd like any advice, it's a scary process - so scary in fact that after getting my offers and obtaining the grades I needed to get in I decided to study something else instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImmyisasImmydoes)
    I applied with three and got two offers I had Bio, Chem and Philosophy and got offers from the RVC and Bristol.

It's more about if you think you will be better off and achieve higher grades. However if you don't have a good grade in physics at GCSE then it might be worth considering taking it for AS instead of German in order to try and demonstrate a good ability in it - I think Bristol mentioned they liked their applicants to have a B in it at GCSE when I was at their open day, but don't hold me to that!
    I found it was more about the work experience/personal statement than the number of qualifications - that is unless you want to apply to Cambridge who seem much more academically driven than the others. As long as you have a good amount and large variety of work experience, good GCSE results and good predicted grades, it won't necessarily make a huge difference.
    Also any form of volunteer work is good, not just animal-related stuff. Science-related experience is also very good - I worked in a university science lab for a week, and there are all sorts of lectures or talks you could attend, or even go in for a science essay prize which are often available to year 12s.
    I would suggest visiting some of the unis if you can - they often hold an admissions talk at the end of the open day where they hint what sort of thing they would like you to write about in the personal statement - Edinburgh said while I was applying that they were more interested in you as a person in your personal statement compared to the other universities who wanted to hear more about experience and interests in veterinary. Also if you visit, when it comes to interview you can also mention your visit and ask more specific questions which they like!
    PM me if you'd like any advice, it's a scary process - so scary in fact that after getting my offers and obtaining the grades I needed to get in I decided to study something else instead
    Thank you so much! All of that is really helpful to me These are my GCSE results: Eng lit - A*
    Eng lang - B
    Maths - A
    Statistics - A
    ICT - A
    Art - B
    History - A
    German - A
    Core - B
    Additional - B
    Further - A
    RS - A*
    Are they okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiracleLeaf)
    Thank you so much! All of that is really helpful to me These are my GCSE results: Eng lit - A*
    Eng lang - B
    Maths - A
    Statistics - A
    ICT - A
    Art - B
    History - A
    German - A
    Core - B
    Additional - B
    Further - A
    RS - A*
    Are they okay?
    Yes, those are very good results, well done!
    I believe the general rule of thumb is to have at least 5As, with good grades in maths and English. So you're fine
    One more thing I would say is very often because of the crazy amount of work experience expected and how driven wannabe vets are, very often they forget to do extra-curriculars and stuff which don't relate to veterinary. However, the veterinary schools do like well-rounded individuals, so try to find things outside the field which you can include on your personal statement and enjoy - it will also help to keep you sane through such a stressful time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImmyisasImmydoes)
    Yes, those are very good results, well done!
    I believe the general rule of thumb is to have at least 5As, with good grades in maths and English. So you're fine
    One more thing I would say is very often because of the crazy amount of work experience expected and how driven wannabe vets are, very often they forget to do extra-curriculars and stuff which don't relate to veterinary. However, the veterinary schools do like well-rounded individuals, so try to find things outside the field which you can include on your personal statement and enjoy - it will also help to keep you sane through such a stressful time!
    What sort of things could I do? Like get a part time job?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things could I do? Like get a part time job?
    And what were you GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    So I want to be a vet, and I'm just going into year 12 to start my alevels, but I think I could get better grades with only three subjects (Biology, Chemistry and German), rather than four (Physics). I've checked the four unis I'll apply to (Edinburgh, Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham), and none of them specify that four subjects are required - they only say Biology and Chemistry. But my problem is that I don't know if I'll be a weaker applicant compared to people with another option?
    If i was you, i'd stick with 3. I'd rather do 3 and know that i will do good instead of doing 4 and knowing that i will not do so good. But some people can pull 4 A Levels off and get good grades... I think it is more about the individual's ability 😊
    I have been told that unis dont look to see if you have done 4 a levels, because they would rather accept someone with AAA rather than someone who did 4 a levels and got like ABCC or something lol

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.