User1536861
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I got into Kent through clearing. It's an amazing uni and course but I'm starting to get cold feet because location was a high priority of mine and Kent is a bit further away than I would have liked. I have undiagnosed social anxiety so I'm getting really worried and anxious just thinking about moving away. Preferably I'd like to attend an institute in London or nearby so I am within reach of my family if anything happens. I also just found out that for my Kent summer task I have to prepare two presentations for the beginning of my course. I know it's not a big deal to most people and people will say that I'm being stupid, but I am literally shaking and in tears because I hate presentations so much. Like I said, I have social anxiety so it can't be helped, not anytime soon anyway.. I could get a place at Kingston for the same course which was the uni I asked to release me into clearing (so I could apply to Kent), but I feel like I would always regret choosing Kingston over a top 20 uni like Kent, especially because I know I could get into a better uni than Kingston with my grades if I hadn't waited so long to see what else is available in clearing. Unfortunately most of the good courses for nearby unis are gone now in clearing so I really don't know what to do. I feel so stupid and am so disappointed at myself for not checking out other clearing places sooner. If I had I probably wouldn't be in this position. Would it be worth it to take another gap year and try and do something productive (internship, volunteer, etc), sort out my anxiety and reapply to somewhere I feel comfortable at for 2016 admission? But I'm also worried that I'll waste another year staying at home doing nothing and being slightly older than my peers so should I just man up, go to Kent and maybe I'll really enjoy it there? Will unis even want to take me on if I do 2 gap years?
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cajach)
I got into Kent's architecture course through clearing. It's an amazing uni and course but I'm starting to get cold feet because location was a high priority of mine and Kent is a bit further away than I would have liked. I have social anxiety so I'm getting really worried and anxious just thinking about moving away. Preferably I'd like to attend an institute in London or nearby so I am within reach of my family if anything happens. I also just found out that for my Kent summer task I have to prepare two presentations for the beginning of my course. I know it's not a big deal to most people and people will say that I'm being stupid, but I am literally shaking and in tears because I hate presentations so much. Like I said, I have social anxiety so it can't be helped.. I could get a place at Kingston for architecture which was the uni I asked to release me into clearing (so I could apply to Kent), but I feel like I would always regret choosing Kingston over a top 20 uni like Kent, especially because I know I could get into a better uni than Kingston with my grades if I hadn't waited so long to see what else is available in clearing. Unfortunately most of the good courses for nearby unis are gone now in clearing so I really don't know what to do. I feel so stupid and am so disappointed at myself for not checking out other clearing places sooner. If I had just looked at other courses a few days earlier I probably wouldn't be in this position. Would it be worth it to take another gap year and try and do something productive (internship, volunteer, etc), sort out my anxiety and reapply to somewhere I feel comfortable at for 2016 admission? But I'm also worried that I'll waste another year staying at home doing nothing and being slightly older than my peers so should I just man up, go to Kent and maybe I'll really enjoy it there?
Usually I'd say just go for it and get out of your comfort zone, however, I know how social anxiety can be and it's not worth putting your mental health in jeopardy. If you're crying and shaking before you're even there then that is not good. It's better to take a gap year and get some CBT/work through your social anxiety (and general anxiety) and apply to somewhere closer to home so that you have your support network around you at university. Moving miles away to a new place doesn't suit everyone and it can be especially difficult if you have an anxiety issue. Do what feels right and remember that there's no rush. As for being older than your peers - that's really nothing to worry about. I'll be doing a second degree when I'm 26 - it's not a race. It's better to make the right choice first time than have to go back and correct things (like me!).

Most importantly, I think you need to work on your anxiety whatever you choose because it won't change unless you face it.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got into Kent's architecture course through clearing. It's an amazing uni and course but I'm starting to get cold feet because location was a high priority of mine and Kent is a bit further away than I would have liked. I have undiagnosed social anxiety so I'm getting really worried and anxious just thinking about moving away. Preferably I'd like to attend an institute in London or nearby so I am within reach of my family if anything happens. I also just found out that for my Kent summer task I have to prepare two presentations for the beginning of my course. I know it's not a big deal to most people and people will say that I'm being stupid, but I am literally shaking and in tears because I hate presentations so much. Like I said, I have social anxiety so it can't be helped, not anytime soon anyway.. I could get a place at Kingston for architecture which was the uni I asked to release me into clearing (so I could apply to Kent), but I feel like I would always regret choosing Kingston over a top 20 uni like Kent, especially because I know I could get into a better uni than Kingston with my grades if I hadn't waited so long to see what else is available in clearing. Unfortunately most of the good courses for nearby unis are gone now in clearing so I really don't know what to do. I feel so stupid and am so disappointed at myself for not checking out other clearing places sooner. If I had I probably wouldn't be in this position. Would it be worth it to take another gap year and try and do something productive (internship, volunteer, etc), sort out my anxiety and reapply to somewhere I feel comfortable at for 2016 admission? But I'm also worried that I'll waste another year staying at home doing nothing and being slightly older than my peers so should I just man up, go to Kent and maybe I'll really enjoy it there? Will unis even want to take me on if I do 2 gap years?
something beautiful has some great advice. I just wanted to add though not everyone comes straight from school, unis take people of any age who've done all manner of things since leaving school. Also unfortunatley presentations are a part of most uni courses & jobs so you do need to get help with the social anxiety.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got into Kent's architecture course through clearing. It's an amazing uni and course but I'm starting to get cold feet because location was a high priority of mine and Kent is a bit further away than I would have liked. I have undiagnosed social anxiety so I'm getting really worried and anxious just thinking about moving away. Preferably I'd like to attend an institute in London or nearby so I am within reach of my family if anything happens. I also just found out that for my Kent summer task I have to prepare two presentations for the beginning of my course. I know it's not a big deal to most people and people will say that I'm being stupid, but I am literally shaking and in tears because I hate presentations so much. Like I said, I have social anxiety so it can't be helped, not anytime soon anyway.. I could get a place at Kingston for architecture which was the uni I asked to release me into clearing (so I could apply to Kent), but I feel like I would always regret choosing Kingston over a top 20 uni like Kent, especially because I know I could get into a better uni than Kingston with my grades if I hadn't waited so long to see what else is available in clearing. Unfortunately most of the good courses for nearby unis are gone now in clearing so I really don't know what to do. I feel so stupid and am so disappointed at myself for not checking out other clearing places sooner. If I had I probably wouldn't be in this position. Would it be worth it to take another gap year and try and do something productive (internship, volunteer, etc), sort out my anxiety and reapply to somewhere I feel comfortable at for 2016 admission? But I'm also worried that I'll waste another year staying at home doing nothing and being slightly older than my peers so should I just man up, go to Kent and maybe I'll really enjoy it there? Will unis even want to take me on if I do 2 gap years?
Ask if you can defer your place for a year and spend the time getting yourself sorted out. Presentations are going to be a part of every university course and if you can't face them, just going to a different university is not going to solve the problem. You don't sound ready to go yet, so don't waste your time and money doing something which is going to make you unhappy and possibly ill.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads