The Student Room Group

Likelihood of me getting an A in Further Maths

Hey guys,

I know I'll get a few comments saying 'no one can tell how likely' but I'm just looking for your guess or your opinion on how likely it is I would be able to get an A in Further Maths A level

At iGCSE I got an A* (about 10% over the A* boundary) and this summer I have covered the content in C1 which seems fine.

I would be doing full A level maths in year 12 and then full Further Maths in year 13

Any thoughts really appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
FM has the highest A* rate of any subject, 26% of people who take it get A*, more than half taking it get A or A*

this is because the people taking it have been selected for being good at maths, they're drawn from the subset of people taking maths A level who are all really good at maths not because it's the easiest subject... http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/14/a-level-results-2014-the-full-breakdown

taking FM A level after maths A level as you intend gives you the opportunity to drop FM if for some reason you underperform badly in the maths..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
FM has the highest A* rate of any subject, 26% of people who take it get A*, more than half taking it get A or A*

this is because the people taking it have been selected for being good at maths, they're drawn from the subset of people taking maths A level who are all really good at maths not because it's the easiest subject... http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/14/a-level-results-2014-the-full-breakdown

taking FM A level after maths A level as you intend gives you the opportunity to drop FM if for some reason you underperform badly in the maths..

That's really interesting, so do you think I could get an A? I'm not naturally gifted but if I practice questions then I can get to the point where it's second nature to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
That's really interesting, so do you think I could get an A? I'm not naturally gifted but if I practice questions then I can get to the point where it's second nature to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really know anything about you specifically, if you do better than ~50% of the people sitting the FM exams you'll get A or A*

what do your teachers think?
Original post by AlmostNotable
Do better than 50% for an A*? What are you talking about? You need an average of 90% in 3 out of 4 A2 modules.

*sigh* for the third time on this thread... 50% of the people sitting FM A level get A or A* where did I say anything about 50% marks?

hint: I didn't

Quick Reply

Latest