The Student Room Group

Are these a-levels strong enough for oxbridge?

I have to pick my a-levels soon and my dream for years has been to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I can't pick between English or art, so I was going to study English literature, history, fine art and photography. Are these safe choices?

Edit: Btw, I'm currently achieving A*s in english; history; art; photography and maths, A's in all sciences and french, and an erm... D in PE... I can't run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends solely on what you want to study.
You definitely have the GCSE grades (if the A*s/As were your results...) but obviously if you chose to study those A Levels and wanted to apply to oxbridge to do medicine then no, they're not strong.

Literature and history are both "hard subjects" and very well respected by whatever university, fine art and photography personally I would say are not - but that might just be me.

There are many other factors to include, extra-curricular achievements, the interview process and of course all down to those AS/A2 grades coming up on whether or not you go to oxbridge!
Reply 2
Thanks for replying. My plan was to study English at Cambridge or art at oxford because I love both; I wasn't thinking of medicine at all. Also, those aren't my results, I'm about to go into year 11 and we did a mock exam before the summer and received those grades.
Original post by cyberblader
Thanks for replying. My plan was to study English at Cambridge or art at oxford because I love both; I wasn't thinking of medicine at all. Also, those aren't my results, I'm about to go into year 11 and we did a mock exam before the summer and received those grades.

Fair play, well you still have a very long time until you need to make these decisions then, and also ignore what i said about those AS results, since you'll have a new system of A Levels by the time you take them!

in the next few years applying to oxbridge will be outlined much more in detail by your college. Take a look on the website UCAS search, you can find courses offered by oxbridge and the entry requirements for them.
Since I haven't applied to any humanities/art subjects I wouldn't know those entry requirements - but in order to study something art or english related then yes, those are strong enough a levels :smile:
Original post by cyberblader
English literature, history, fine art and photography. Are these safe choices?

I'd say drop photography for another "facilitating" subject. Most universities (and no less Oxbridge) would accept one non-facilitating subject, and as you are stuck between art and English, I suggest retaining Art as your non-facilitating. This is just my advice, as there will be hordes of people trying to study English at Oxbridge so you need to maximise your appearance on application.

It's good that you're thinking ahead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest