Nifer
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Well u ppl I think that my question is crystal clear =]]]]]. I have this Green Physics Book which i think iz garbage... We end up correcting the results of the book in class -.-! IT IS FULL OF MISTAKES and incorrest answers!! Can some1 tell me which is the best IB physics Book and Give me the name of the author so i can search it and get some pictures of it!!! coz we may order it in school!! TY!!
IB-Seed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Giancoli.

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Princi.../dp/0130606200
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tsokos "Physics For the IB Diploma"
Nifer
my teacher mentioned something about a purple colored book.. he says its perfect.. any idea bout it and whoz de author??
Nifer
thanks for ur support guyz
nota bene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nifer)
my teacher mentioned something about a purple colored book.. he says its perfect.. any idea bout it and whoz de author??
Tsokos is purple...
Nifer
its blue in the pictures...
nota bene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nifer)
its blue in the pictures...
2nd edition was blue...
3rd edition (Cambridge university press) is lying on my floor, and it IS purple...
-Aimee-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ditto, I have to say Tsokos is great as well, perhaps a little heavy to carry around though lol. but it's a real life saver
purple_bananas
Report 12 years ago
i have IB stuidy giude physics for the IB diploma by tom kirk. its not hugley in depth so i would suggest another book aswell but for revison it is easy to understand and fantastic!!!!! its purple so may be the same book also
nota bene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by purple_bananas)
i have IB stuidy giude physics for the IB diploma by tom kirk. its not hugley in depth so i would suggest another book aswell but for revison it is easy to understand and fantastic!!!!! its purple so may be the same book also
I hope that no teacher would call that book the best!!! I have a copy and sure, it is OK, but has many mistakes... not as bad as the green IBID book, but still...
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'many mistakes' its not that bad, although tis amusing to find them :p: there's one in waves where he defines transverse and longitudinal waves as the same thing...and that seemed funny in physics
undercover
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
GIANCOLI is taught at my school.
HMSChocolate
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by waleed1990)
GIANCOLI is taught at my school.
That's the prescribed book for first year Physics at my uni!!!
kmcmillan19
Report 12 years ago
I have a strong dislike of the green one. The IB2s at my current school get the purple book. It looks a lot better. I'm going to see if I can get a copy and study out of it.
cjsk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i like the purple one.. it's very structured, and should probably be best used as a revision GUIDE, complementing your class notes.. as for giancoli, it's very detailed, but in some cases, it's too detailed, and yeah, it's really an undergraduate textbook, but can be used to clarify doubts you have about anything..
niketbiyani
Report 12 years ago
Giancoli is da best but there are some out of portion stuff which have to be avoided.
nota bene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cjsk)
i like the purple one.. it's very structured, and should probably be best used as a revision GUIDE, complementing your class notes..
You are talking about Kirk's "Physics For The IB Diploma", right? There is another book with the same title (and colour) written by Tsokos, and that one _is_ a textbook, whilst Kirk's is a revision guide...
IBitious
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
giancoli... as long as you have a teacher who knows what should be done and what can be omitted on SL LEVEL for God's sake :confused:
elevatorlove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have both Giancoli and Tsokos (the purple book), and I prefer Tsokos as it's less intiminating (bigger letters - yay!) and it's actually written for the IB. So while Giancoli is good, there's loads of subjects in it that you don't really need to know, so it's easy to get confused.

The Study Guide (also purple...) is just a supplement to either Giancoli or Tsokos.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (209)
23.64%
Pop (220)
24.89%
Jazz (33)
3.73%
Classical (50)
5.66%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.12%
Electronic (60)
6.79%
Indie (143)
16.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise